Gibson or PRS for P90 guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjs1962, Jul 5, 2006.

10/birds McSoap or VOS 56 Les Paul?

1. McCarty Soapbar 10/birds

2. 56 Historic VOS Les Paul

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking to buy a dual P90 guitar, and I want a maple top. For the same money ($2500) I can get either a new McCarty Soapbar 10/birds, or a new 56 Historic VOS Les Paul. Which would you go for and why?

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

If I had only those two to choose from, I'd go with the Gibby. My brother's got a R6, cloud nine version with Lollars that's as light as a feather and rocks his house. . .played through a Fender BassBreaker amp.

I've had a McCarty and I've got a cheapo SE Soapy. Great work on the guitars, but for some reason, to me, they lack soul. . .Maybe it's that they don't have any quirks or build flaws. . .But they just don't float my boat.

Now, I'm going to throw you a curve. . .The best P-90 guitar out there is the Hamer Special with TWO P-90's. I've picked one up recently and it's becoming my favorite guitar. Incredible workmanship and great looks. I didn't like the Duncans, so I loaded up a pair of Lollars and it's in another league altogether.

Good luck!

3. fjs1962

Thanks for the advice. I've played a few Hamers and thought they sounded great and were built as good as anything out there, but I like thick necks and every Hamer I've tried has had more of a 60's slim taper sort of neck. Do they make any with a chunky neck like the gibson 50s or PRS wide/fat?

4. fjs1962

Don't know if this makes any difference, but I already own a 58 Historic Les Paul and a PRS Custom 22 and like both.

5. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I own a McSoap maple top/lollars and a 40th anniversary Les Paul (black, gold hw, ebony board, I replaced the P-100's with Lollars) and I hate to admit it but the Les Paul sounds better. Has more bottom end and more sustain. This Les Paul is not a custom shop model and is a bit on the heavy side and yet it might be the nicest sounding rock guitar of all my guitars and that includes several custom shop Les Pauls.

The PRS is beautiful, plays beautifully but it just lacks that little oomph (for lack of a better word) that the Les Paul has. It's one of those things that you wouldn't really notice unless you played them side by side with the band. I tend to play the McSoap at home and take out the Les Paul. I think about a 56 but I can't image it could sound better than my LP 40th.

6. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

2005 was the year of the P-90 for me.

I picked up an R4 Cloud 9 LP and a gold top McSoapy. Thery're both great. The LP has more bottom end, though, and has a fuller sound.

Play as many of either as you can and just get what you like.

Good Luck

:drool

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Much as I like PRS, I gotta go with the Lester here for that classic P-90 sound. A P-90 LP is a tough combo to beat. It'd be hard to find one that didn't sound big and bad. PS...still lovin' the 335? Regards, AC

8. fjs1962

Yes, the 335 has a good home here. I was just telling a buddy of mine the other day, if I could only keep one Gibson it would be that 335. You don't know how much I appreciate you letting it move down here with me! :)

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I own a bunch of nice guitars. My favorite is a 1996 54 goldtop with P-90's and the wraparound bridge. That guitar can do any gig---rock, jazz, blues, country. It is so versatile. I also much prefer the Gibson P-90 pickups to the Duncans in the PRS. The McSoap played and felt great, but did not compare sonically.

10. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

The Lester, it would be a pain to find a nice one due to Gibson's shoddy quality control. That said it is an instrument that is special, a part of our musical heritage. When you find a good one it will become an heirloom for your kids. It will call you to play it when you should be doing other things. You will seem a lot cooler with it than a PRS. I mean birds, come on man what kind of guitar comes with birds as an option. Scale length, the string tension on a PRS is just wrong. It should be between Hamer and Gibson. Now I do see a Hollow Body 2 in my future so it is not all sour grapes for PRS. If you have to order mail order or have it shipped to you and can’t go scour the music stores for something with soul, buy the PRS. They are like Taylor frighteningly consistent, if a bit lacking in soul.
    Rob

11. AlexF

AlexF Member

Gibby every time out of those two, they just sound bigger and more substantial, probably coz they are. Also, PRS use an overwound P90 in the bridge which sounds thick and naff to my ears, whereas stock gibby P90's are great.
    Al

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Love those Brit adjectives, ie. "naff". Great word...what's it actually mean? Gotta start using it, but need to know the proper context. AC

13. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I had to look that one up, too!
    :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/naff
    2 entries found for naff.

naff1 Audio pronunciation of "naff" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nf)
    adj. Chiefly British Slang

Unstylish, clichéd, or outmoded.

naff2 Audio pronunciation of "naff" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nf)
    intr.v. Chiefly British Slang naff·ed, naff·ing, naffs

To fool around or go about: “naffing about in a tutu” (Suzanne Lowry).

Phrasal Verb:
    naff off

Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Intonated saddles? We don't need no stinking intonated saddles!

My R4 is a great guitar, I haven't even changed the pickups (and I have Lolllar P90's in other guitars, so I know how good they sound). I'm well chuffed with it!

Never owned a PRS, I've stayed away from them mostly for GAS control, but I gotta say I'm intrigued by the McSoapy--the black ones look especially nice.

15. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

Hamer USA

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

17. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I got several wit P-90, I have the opportunity to compare the Mcsoap standard against the R6 '98 goldtop and the R6 has a better tone. I also have a music man that is so easy to play that is ridiculous and has a silent circuit for the noize that seems to works fine and I also have a R4 custom that has a big tone and the super versatil and great tone CU22 with 3 P-90.
    Personal opinion again, with only those two to choose and base on tone, sustain, etc... the gibson R6.
    Good luck on what you are looking for.

18. WordMan

WordMan Member

Just to cause trouble, I humbly suggest one other alternative: a '54 Custom Reissue, with the P-90 in the bridge and an Alnico 5 in the neck position. Perfection! You get the spanky growl and bite of the soapbar for rockin' stuff and the clean, just-this-side of twang, 3-D richness of the Alnico for cleaner stuff - and it gains up amazingly well, too!

the all black look with the black pickups ain't too shabby either! I have tried to post a picture of mine, but my postings always end up waaayyyy too big - lemme try yet another time...sorry if this screws up the thread!!

[​IMG]

19. fjs1962

OK, to update: I ended up picking up a new VOS 56 Historic and everything said about them in this thread applies. The thing just sounds huge. I really like the VOS finish, and I'm not one to go for "pre-aged" guitars. This just looks like a guitar that has been played a bit but taken care of. It doesn't look fake at all like the old Custom Authentic Gibsons I've seem (that look like someone took steel wool to them). The Plek setup is awesome too, I've NEVER played a Gibson with a perfect setup out of the box like this has. So anyhow, thanks for all the help and comments. I'm going to go blast a little P90 tone ;)

20. WordMan

WordMan Member

Congrats and enjoy!