Gibson or PRS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by beatnix, Jan 2, 2008.

1. beatnix

beatnix Member

Okay...if I'm gonna drop a grand (that's about my limit) on an HB / set neck guitar this year, which one would you recommend and why? I know opinions are like a$$holes, but I value those I hear around here. Help me make an informed purchase.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

For a grand, your options are going to be somewhat limited. Not too many USA made PRS guitars around for that price even on the used market. Plenty of lightly used LP Studios can be had though or even a new SG Classic. New Gibson Firebird's, V's or Explorer's can also be had around that price range. Go play a bunch of guitars and buy the one that speaks to your soul.

3. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

You'd have to look a bit harder for one, but I'd reccomend a used Standard 24. I've played plenty of Les Pauls, but none of them beat my Standard. An LP and a PRS sound nothing alike. The LP's I played were much better suited to classic rock and blues. My Standard can do that, and it can do just about any kind of modern metal.

Really the best guitar I've ever played.

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

As stated already, they're not many "used" set-necked PRSi let along new. But, you can get a killer CE22 or 24 for about that. If you look long enough possible a set-neck one will come along. Bump your price range a little more possible to 1500 you could probably open your doors to more...

More options for you new and used on the LP side. You could get a brand new Studio which are great bang for your buck USA made guitar, and still a true LP tone. Bump your price here to the 1500 range and possible get into a Std or Classic.

Two very different but great guitars to choose from.

5. beatnix

beatnix Member

Of course playing many in the near future is on the agenda, and I fully understand the limitations my budget is putting on me, but can anyone tell me what tonal differences I'll be finding?

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Neither. I'd recommend a Hamer Studio, but there are so many 2 HB, setneck guitars out there, it makes no sense to limit yourself in anyway if you're not already pretty sure about what you want.

-Austin

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Used you can buy a great Heritage, or a low end PRS or Gibson for that price. I'd go for the Heritage.

8. echale3

echale3 Member

I've tried several PRS guitars, never could really get into the neck profile on each of them enough to pull the trigger on purchasing one. Even so, the ones I played were all outstandingly well built guitars and definitely worth every penny. If the guitar fits you and you bond with it, you'll certainly not be able to get a much better guitar for the same price. Take a look at the SE series--IIRC they sell new for $500-$650 depending on the options on them and you can often find them used for ~$300. If they work for you, they are real bang for your buck. If I ever do find the right PRS SE, it'll come home with me...

All that aside, I'm a big fan of Gibson, and there's plenty of really nice HB/Set neck Gibsons out there for under a grand NIB... The SG Specials, Faded SG Specials, Vintage Mahogany Les Pauls, and the Faded Les Paul Studio all come immdiately to mind.

If you're willing to consider a P-90/set neck guitar in lieu of a HB/set neck, you should consider the SG Classic (fantastically well built Gibson for only $900) or the Faded Les Paul Double Cut Special.

All the aforementioned Gibsons are well built, fit me well, and I like them enough that I personally own a Vintage Mahogany Les Paul, a Faded SG Special, a Faded Les Paul Double Cut Special, and a Faded Flying V. Each one has a different neck profile than the next, but I like them all, and they fit me well. Upper fret access on the SG, V, and LP DC Special is nothing short of spectacular.

I hear a lot of good things about Reverend guitars, so I think they'd be worth checking out if you have a shop around that carries them. The Epiphone Elitist series guitars are supposed to be very good too, but I've never played one. I did own an Epi LP Standard for a while, it was pretty nice to look at and hold, and it felt pretty much like a Les Paul should, but out of the box it tended to choke out in the upper registers, needed new electronics (crap pickups/pots) and needed fret leveling before it played well. I wound up trading it off to get my Faded SG, and I'm much happier with the SG than I ever was with the Epi LP... I've played quite a few Epi G400 SGs that were really nice guitars.

Going on the used market, there's all sorts of cool stuff out there... Ever consider purchasing an old Gibson L-6s? Killer HB/set neck guitar with fantastic tonal variations for way under a grand. How about one of the older (late 70's/early 80's) Carvin CM series? They were extremely well built, and back in the late 70's when I used to drool all over the Carvin ads, they had a guarantee of being able to be set up 1/16" off the 12th fret w/no buzzing strings. They had loads of tonal variations due to the wiring setup, and some of them were even set up with stereo outputs... Ever so often you'll see one go for $300-$400 on ebay... The list of possibilities goes on and on and on and on.....

9. jrw32

jrw32 Member

Definitely try out a bunch of guitars/brands & go with what feels right to you. For me, it was a PRS McCarty...warm, fat & articulate like a LP, but w/out being too muddy AND w/ coil taps. MUCH lighter too!

Like everyone else said, if you save $3-500 more you'll have more options...good luck!

10. codeorama

codeorama Member

I've got gibsons and Prs (and fenders).

IMO, a Gibson is a Gibson and a Fender is a Fender.
    A PRS is a compromise between the two.
    If you want a Gibson sound, you are not going to be fully happy with a PRS. However, if you want a more versatile guitar that can do a better Gibson impersonation than a Fender, then the PRS is your guitar.
    Not saying Gibson is better.

11. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Quality, versatility, and likely playability (fretwork, etc) would likely go to PRS unless you go Gibson Historic line: their quality is very good, esp the plekked VOS. But for a grand PRS would win.

Tone would go to either: it's your ear, not ours.

12. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

As a Fender Tele and Strat player, a PRS was very easy to switch to. The sound was also closer to what I'm used to. The Gibsons that I have owned, either had P90's or mini humbuckers.

Plus, I'm not a fan of Gibson's policies. I would by one used, but not new.

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I would go for a PRS if at all possible. Gibson's quality at that price isn't all that great, while PRS's is. If you can get past the detail of the set neck, you can get a fantastic guitar in one of the CE models. I'd recommend the older CE22s that have the uncovered Dragon 1 pickups in them. Best bang for your buck of any guitar, IMHO. Btw, I've heard that PRS designed their neck pocket on the CEs so that they wouldn't lose the sustain that typically comes with a set neck. While there is a difference, my brother's CE22 and my Singlecut Trem (set neck) have pretty much the same sustain. The SCT may have a little more, but it's not enough for me to hear an important difference like there is between my Strat and my PRS.

14. c-dub

c-dub Member

Well, this is what I gather from reading the internet . . .

Gibsons have poor quality and PRSs have no soul.

So, crappy or sterile, take your pick!

;)

15. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Is there a crappy and sterile option?

16. c-dub

c-dub Member

Epiphones and import line PRSs!

;)

17. tone4days

tone4days Member

check a bunch of the PRS SE line til you find one that feels best to you ... leaves you enough money to buy the aftermarket pickups to tweak to your ears content ...

18. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm much less expert than many here, but I've played a fair amount of guitars and nothing plays better or easier than my PRS Singlecut, but it could not be had for $1K or $1500 for that matter. Good luck.

19. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I sold my LP and bought a Custom 22. Here is what I think about the two:

Gibson: I think the poor quality issues are overhyped, but there are definitely more than with PRS. LPs sound fat and huge and IMO are more versatile than people give them credit for (You have to learn to work the knobs). The only problems I might have is the weight and ergonomics with the bridge being up off of the body. They play great and have different neck options. Of course it's a great guitar.

PRS: Consistent!!!! I feel that I can buy one online and I'm pretty sure that it was originally built great (don't know about how previous owners treated it though). They are more middy than a LP, but cut great in a live situation. They are very versatile guitars and the ergonomics are great. They are much lighter than an LP. The 5 way rotary does a good job faking strat sounds, but I prefer the 3 way with a push pull pot. Some people don't like the stock pickups, I like the dragon IIs, but I'm trying some different stuff (of course I just like tweaking and building stuff!). My only real complaint is I wish I had separate volume and tone controls, but there are times with the LP I wished the opposite.

Both are great guitars, PRS in general builds a more consistent higher quality guitar, but LPs sound like LPs.

20. PFCG

PFCG Member

used CE 24 is the best deal going!