Gibson owners, do you own both 50's and 60's necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcv, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jcv

jcv Member

When I first started trying out Gibson guitars, I definitely preffered the 60's neck by far. I really didn't like the 50's neck at all. I found a new music store in my area and I've been going there a lot and playing lots of gibsons lately. A lot of them have the 50's neck profile and although I still like the slim 60's neck a little better, the 50's neck feels pretty good to me too!

Do any of you Gibson players own and play both? does it bother you going back and forth? I'm curious because sometimes I love stuff in the store and then feel differently after a week or 2 of ownership.

I've been thinking of selling my 60's Tribute Les Paul and if I do, I might replace it with a Studio Faded model which has the 50's neck proifile. I'm also considering a PRS Mira X which has a fat neck as well.

I should add that I love the 60's Tribute and I'm definitely on the fence here.

Thanks in advance for any input

2. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have both and like both. The 50s takes some getting used to , but not a huge difference.

3. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I have a 60's slim taper a 58 also, I would say that I like the bigger necks

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The 3 Gibson I play every night have very different necks. My CR8 is a baseball bat, my '94 Standard is technically a '59 rounded, but is pretty thin, and my '62 SG is very thin. I do notice it when I go to the SG, but I wouldn't say it bothered me. I also do notice that I play differently. To throw in another shape/size, my Strat that I play every night has a hard V profile.

5. cap47

cap47 Member

I have both. I never think about it, just play it!

6. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I can enjoy both but when it gets very very flat.
    You get a lot of 1960 guitars that still have a 59 or slim 50 neck shape.
    As far as 50's I can enjoy most but when it gets really huge (rarer on original 50's as a matter of fact )

7. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

I will echo the sentiment that: "don't worry about it: just play it !"

I have both types in gibson format, and a few in between's in f format, all feel fine, you adapt, just give yourself time and patience, I found I just adjusted my playing to what is infront of me .

8. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

I prefer the 60's but have had both. I find that the variance between 50's necks between two different models, or 60's necks between two different models, make shopping solely by that designation impossible. Some 50's are fatter than others, some 60's are thinner. Gotta get your hands on the actual guitar to see how the neck really feels.

9. goodwater

goodwater Member

I prefer the bigger necks---the "50's" neck always felt pretty fat until I got an R8...picked up the studio with the 50s neck the other day and it felt downright dainty

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I only have fat necks now, but I've owned both. It didn't bother me going back and forth, but I find the bigger necks much more comfortable. Thinner necks make my forearm cramp.

11. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

My LP has a "50's rounded", and is perfect in every way. The ES has a sixties, and is much smaller/thinner, but it works on this guitar. The SG is very clubby, not as refined as the 50's rounded but still comfortable.

One original 1966 J-45 I played was about the thinnest Gibson neck I've ever played. Almost hard to play as it is so thin. The second thinnest was my old 1960 LP Junior, I eventually sold it as it was just too thin. IMHO Gibson necks should always have a bit of meat to them.

12. g-mane

g-mane Member

I have both and prefer the larger 50s styles. My LP standard has a 60s neck according to the paperwork and the scrawl in the pickup cavity, but it's as big as a few "50s" necks that I've played. There's that grey area of overlap between the two, since they're all hand finished.

13. chilipedals

chilipedals Member

I got an R7 last year and for a whileafter I wanted to sell all my other guitars without fat necks. I've backed off that direction a bit but be forewarned it might be addictive....

14. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Not a fan of the Gibson "slim taper 60's" neck. I had a LP Classic until I got my first Historic with the 50's profile. After that, there was no looking back.

My ES335 and SG's have "thinner" (albeit masculine) necks, but nowhere near the slim taper.

15. chilipedals

chilipedals Member

...and I recently got a '98 that is about .8 at fret 1 versus .92 on my R7. But it seems to get fatter as it moves up the frets and I feel it is kind of in between a 50s and 60s due to the cut of it that way. I think every guitar will have its own character and feel that way so play a lot before deciding. I like both.

16. alpjr

alpjr Member

I've always gone with the 60's because I felt they were closer to my modern c fender necks that I was accustomed to. Recently while on the hunt for a new LP, I've tried every one I can get my hands on in my area and surprisingly to me, I've found that I love the 50's neck. They really do vary so not all 50's feel the same. I found my favorite on a 50's tribute with humbuckers. I have no problem going from my strat to the LP or even my EBMM JP6 with its unique shape. I just play and don't even notice the differences any more. I have just an average hand size too and couldn't find one that felt too big.

17. Tom60

Tom60 Senior Member

I have both, and prefer 50s; playing the 60s neck, I´d get cramps in wrist/fingers after 30 minutes .. I do a lot of bending, double stops etc so I need deep profile with pronounced shoulders .. the worst for me is the V-neck on a MIJ 50s Tele, most comfortable for me is Nocaster :)

18. srb531

srb531 Member

ive had both but sold the 1 that had the 60 neck, i found it uncomfortable to play compared to the 50 necks.

19. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I have both with no issues going back and forth.

20. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:agree