Gibson P-94

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 22Top, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 22Top

22Top Member

Just wondering if anyone has any experience. I want to get some P-90 types without routing, and I've got a line on a pair of these right cheap from a dealer in town.

Are they decent??? I'm gonna put them in my 335 copy.... am I nuts????

My man at the dealer said that they were designed with Gordie Johnson of Big Sugar/Grady fame, and that they were in a custom lespaul that bore his name some time ago...

Any info would be great!

-Jarek

2. erksin

erksin Member

They're decent pickups - if you can get them cheap go for it and see how you like them.

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've never played them myself - but, have heard good things. Give em a shot!

4. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Kenny "Blue" Ray (noted Bay Area blues guitarist and tone monster) uses them and has favorable things to say about them.

I bought a used Hamer Echotone (ES-335 clone) from Will Ray (Hellecasters) that he'd swapped a P-94 into the neck position and he had favorable things to say.

Those testimonials would be good enough for me. Let your ears be the judge.

5. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Some people say it's tone is closest to the real Gibson P-90, among the humbucker-sized P-90 wannabees, albeit a bit more mild-mannered.

I had a pair in a 335 copy and got great clean and low od tones. Versatile for jazz and blues. Even got a nice out-of-phase tone with it (w a push-pull vol. pot installed). A set is RWRP and hum-free in neck+bridge position. But the 60-cycle hum is still there when using either pickup by itself, and therefore not useful for high gain situations.

OC that I was, I couldn't stand having a cosmetically unmatched pair and now regret having let them go.

6. 22Top

22Top Member

Thanks folks!

Gary: How much did the Fralin's run you, if you don't mind me asking???

7. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I got a set on the eBay several years ago for $100! :AOK

I'm sure that if you ordered them directly from Lindy they be a lot more, say $130+ each...all I can say is if I need another set I won't hesitate.

P.S. I also tried:

Rio Grande Bastard (just the neck), which was nice but a little boomy and compressed.

Kent Armstrong P-90 set, which had a LOT of growl but was undynamic & muddy until I got 550K Vol Pots + 1K Tone Pots. Not real P-90ish, but definately fun for the $$$

Phatcats were nice, but a little too creamy for my taste...

8. dahn8

dahn8 Member

I had a set on my les paul studio way back. It was pretty good. If you can find some for cheap, i'd go ahead and try them out :)