Gibson pickups in Agile LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BEACHBUM, Feb 5, 2012.

1. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Anyone out there done it. I'm sure they sound good. What I'm interested in knowing is does it sound like a Gibson?

2. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I don't know but my buddy has an Agile LP and it is one sweet guitar. It sounds like a Gibson with the stock pickups. I think it's nicer than a lot of "real" Gibsons that I've played, like the Studio, for instance.

One weak point I found was the pots. The taper is not the best. Also, it is a bit buzzy, due to poor or no shielding or grounding on the control cavities.

If my friend let me, I would gut the insides totally. I'd yank the cheap pots and replace them with good CTS, Bourns or something of quality. I'd shield the control cavities and wire it up like the 50s wiring so it retains treble as you turn down the volume. And I'd replace the cheap caps with something good. Orange drop caps, Mallory 150, or even Sozo are not that expensive for a pair of good caps.

If you can solder and follow a wiring diagram, you can do this for less than $50 and hear a noticeable improvement in your guitar's tone. And THEN, you can truly evaluate your pickups and make a determination as to what pickups you can put in your guitar. Seriously, I wouldn't waste money on pickups before I cleaned up the wiring in that guitar. You might not find it necessary to change pickups after you've re-wired it.

3. xsi619

xsi619 Member

i had an al-200 a while back and i ended up putting a 59 classic in the neck and a burstbucker in the bridge. A whole world of difference.

4. b2sc

b2sc Member

FYI , the back of the control plates are grounded with copper foill even on the lowly 2000 series LP style Agiles.

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

I hated the stock pickups in my Agile, replaced them with Gibson Classic 57s, now my Agile sounds like a Gibson LP Traditional but a bit brighter and ballsier (I think it's the Ebony fretboard).

[​IMG]

6. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Granted, I'm mostly a Fender guy, but I've got a "lowly AL2000". Got that 'cause I wanted a rosewood fingerboard, not ebony and they didn't have lefty AL2500 available at the time. Stock pickups were OK. Haven't tried Gibson pickups in (I bet they'd be real nice), but here's what I did do: Put some GFS Classic II pickups in it. They made it real nice. This guitar sings. After that, I tried some Duncan 59s I had. They were nice too. But I put the GFS back in it. Somehow they seem a perfect match. Maybe it's Korean guitar/Korean pickups, but this thing's got some mojo. Gone from a cheap project thing to a go-to humbucker guitar.