Gibson pickups... why?

Wrubird

Funny you say that because it was a Lollar P90 that ultimately turned me away from aftermarket pickups - I bought it for an LP JR I'd acquired with the bridge P90 missing thinking it'd be something special. I found it nowhere as good as the stock Gibson P90 I had in my single pu LP JR DC. The Lollar didn't growl as much, it sounded feeble and boring in comparison.

And yes, I know how to set up a pick up. :)
I’m talking humbuckers. I have no idea about P90 - I hate them all :p

GulfportBound

I have six Gibsons, all stock with one exception . . .

Burstbucker Pros:
1656867713658.png

P90s:
1656867750286.png

Burstbucker 1 (neck), Burstbucker 2 (bridge):
1656867787775.png

P90 (neck); Dirty Fingers (bridge):
1656867826332.png

Seth Lover PAFs installed well before I acquired the guitar:
1656867869545.png

Burstbucker 1 (neck), Burstbucker 2 (bridge):
1656867924092.png

And I get nice little variations on the sound I've developed (I play them through a Fender amp) from all six pairs.

Funny you say that because it was a Lollar P90 that ultimately turned me away from aftermarket pickups - I bought it for an LP JR I'd acquired with the bridge P90 missing thinking it'd be something special. I found it nowhere as good as the stock Gibson P90 I had in my single pu LP JR DC. The Lollar didn't growl as much, it sounded feeble and boring in comparison.

And yes, I know how to set up a pick up. :)

Did you buy a Lollar wound to about the same 9.1k as the Gibson pickup?

Stx

Silver Supporting Member
I'm amazed everytime I swap out the stock pickups in a Gibson how much better the guitar sounds afterwards...
I was about to say, Hey wait a minute, my 490's sound fine, then I got to the end.

Deluzion

I dont like the T-Type gibson pickups in my ES-335, to bright harsh and shrill with not alot of musicality to my ears. The problem is its ES-335 so i cant swap pickups myself and techs i trust around where i live is pretty much non existant. :S

Moony

What I really don't understand is why even with expensive signature models, Gibson doesn't use the pickups that the artist normally plays (fe Duncans like Slash, Mike Ness, Angus etc.)

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
Agree, OP - I like Custombuckers, but pickups in the USA Les Paul/SG line seem 'optimised' for hard rock. Perhaps that's just the market, but for me they fall a little short for classic rock and blues tones.

Strummerfan

Different strokes. I prefer single coils, but have liked most of the Gibson pickups I've played, as far as the humbucker sound is concerned most of them are good. A little height adjustment and a tweak of the signal chain is all you need, some players are way too quick to swap pickups IMHO.

Bohunk

Gold Supporting Member
Exactly. I like the original T Tops in my '69 ES 175, the Shaws in my '85 ES 335, the MHSs in my ES 275 and the Custombuckers in my '64 ES 335 Reissue. I seldom use distortion pedals so maybe that is a factor for some folks.
Yes sir. I have a pair of ES-275’s; one with MHS humbuckers and one with MHS P-90‘s. TI flat wounds on the humbuckers and TI George Benson round wounds on the P-90. I also don’t use distortion but they both love a little saturation with a Deco. From Wes to reverb-drenched drones.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
You're joking, correct?
Years & years of trying them on & shaking my head that they were so poor sounding.
Should I add In My Experience to every comment?

Saying Fender and Gibson don’t know how to make pickups as you did in you initial post is IMO ignorant. Considering the longevity of both companies and the list of who’s who players playing their guitars I’d say they know how to make pickups.

So asking for proof to back up your statement is not out of line.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom