Gibson / Play Authentic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by presence, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

I've often wondered this myself. PRS has the SE line, Fender has the Squier line - both have their respective headstock shapes but have easily recognizable marks/logos etc. that identify them as their budget/made outside of the US line of guitars. Epiphone could easily do the same. Honestly the main reasons I wouldn't buy an Epiphone Les Paul is the headstock. Not because it doesn't say Gibson but because the shape is ugly. If it was the Gibson shape but said Epiphone I'd be fine with it.

wetordry likes this.
  2. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

What he said.

uab9253 and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

If that is all that is stopping you, buy an Epiphone. The headstock is just fine. You'll see.

Open your mind and your heart will follow. Or is that open your heart and your mind will follow. Either way, there are a few marginal headstocks out there. Epiphone is certainly not one of them.

hunter

4. Wigging Izzout

Wigging Izzout Supporting Member

You sure? Still seems to work for me.

5. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Must be blocked at work. Just tried on my phone and it worked.

6. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I have the 2016 too and I love it. To the OP however, it did feel strange - glad they took it down. Like the black market counterfeit guys are scared of Mark Agnessi - even if he does have a faraway stare and studs on his leather jacket.
    Someone out there stepping on you? Lawyer up and go after them the right way. Huff and Puff on YouTube merely brings the lolz.

7. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

It's a browser issue. It won't work on my Safari, but it does work on Chrome

Gallery likes this.
  8. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

It didn't work for me either on my home computer. Here's another one. If you click on the title and not the vid link it works.

Gallery likes this.
  9. badgerchemist

badgerchemist Supporting Member

I think they're going the social media route since its pretty clear they don't have an actual legal case to defend what he's busy spouting-off about on social media. This was already adjudicated heavily with PRS. If its a legit forgery being passed off as Gibson, sure....but Mr. Mark Pretend-JD Agnesi is doing just that-pretending they have an actual legal case and hoping some builders are too poor to pay for decent legal representation, and too scared to take a chance.

Original_Fire likes this.
  10. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

It's not that the headstock is ugly per se, it's that when people buy a les paul they typically want the Gibson shaped headstock...the Epiphone shape has a certain stigma that many people can't get over (nice guitar bud, but I guess you couldn't afford a "real" les paul). This is why there is a big market for the Chibson copies...this is an easy one for Gibson to fix and gives each price point an authentic looking guitar. It should also substantially cut the market for the Chibson sellers, which is obviously also one of Gibsons goals (no futile attorney efforts required).

11. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

On a certain level it's kind of insane to demand that a company adhere 100%(glue/plastic make-up chemistry--Every Single tiny detail up to and including some fairytale about 'how the company used to be run' in a completely different time/environment wrt other builders etc) to a product made 60yrs ago that wasn't even really popular until years later. And if they don't then they're dead to me. Wow.

And yet it's pretty tough to deny that the shape immediately evokes the image--Strat.

Tootone likes this.
  12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

An authentic looking guitar?

OK

hunter

13. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Skip the glue and plastic make up chemistry hyper detailed replica stuff.

Just make single piece bodies with long tenons and ABR bridges that go into wood. Those are basics of the construction of a 50's LP. If you don't wanna do that, than don't call it a 50's original and go on telling me they're made to 50's spec. They're not.

Never said they're dead to me. I just don't like the hypocrisy of how they keep on saying "the new golden age is here" and they "went back to the originals", saying they made a 50s spec standard.... when they didn't. They barely changed anything other than marketing - consider these guitars basically extensions of what was happening when HJ was at the helm.

Then they come up with this video telling us all to be original and authentic? They're not even doing that themselves!

Do I demand that they do that tomorrow? No. But they're saying they did it all yesterday. I'd be much happier with them if they were transparent and said, "Hey, we are listening, we get it.. we're looking at how our operations are setup and are looking into what it would take to make some of these positive improvements in the future" etc etc.... but instead, they basically did nothing (they weren't even there long enough to make any true manufacturing change before these landed) and then told us all that they really revamped everything and are "back to the golden age". Right.

Windup 43, Gevalt and Relicula like this.
  14. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

An acquaintance who is a popular YouTuber was at our local brick and mortar this morning to show us some stuff from Death by Audio. He spoke to the Gibson rep and he's heard that they are not happy with Fano among others.

15. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Man, Fano should be easier to defend than PRS

Da Geezer likes this.
  16. Tritone

Tritone Member

Is your name a Perl reference?

17. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Oh ya--that wasn't really meant to be directed at you specifically. It was just a good section to quote that basically encapsulates a lot of people's outlook in other comments/that response video etc.-- i.e. just make 58-60s or F off lol. But as I'm sure you well know even if they did cover the 3 things you mentioned--there would immediately be tons of people on the forums or whatever saying--dude we dissected the knobs this is total garbage!! I mean good god my switch tip aged like 2 whole shades over on the color scale this is outrageous.

fwiw I agree there's a lot of other legit stuff to gripe about as well but personally I guess I just don't take it all that seriously. Christ people want the company to 'be like the old days' but for the most part back then top of the line Gibsons weren't even really marketed toward bedroom/casual players etc--they were more the guitars you graduated to as a 'pro'.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  18. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I think at the heart of it, what it really boils down to is.... we want a real Les Paul without "going Custom".

You know, me personally... I'll take the new knobs and plastics and you can put them in any finish you want - 100 flavours if you will - if they only simply constructed them the way they were designed originally. You don't even need to call it a '50s original or '60s original... Just construct them true to their design (again, the way we hear them on all of the biggest records that made LP's famous) and then just call it a Les Paul and call it a day.

My fixation on the construction is because in my experience, that original construction is what = that original sound we all know, and is iconically associated with a LP.

Sell that for me at $2499 and I'll buy 2.

19. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Oh no, they are coming for old black, because it looks just like a Gibson........uhnno

Da Geezer and DavidTCIC like this.
  20. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

No.

It's a bastardization of my real name.