Gibson / Play Authentic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by presence, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I don’t own a Gibson, but this video definitely wouldn’t attract me. That being said, the aggressive way it was done makes me feel this was all about talking to the younger generation, not us guys that are 40+. Maybe that in your face style will work with the younger crowd?

presence likes this.
  2. presence

presence Member

I'm not a intellectual property attorney, but I think the video is of dubious legal value. Actions speak louder than words.

Even though the ownership has recently changed, it would be surprising if trying an IP "reset" through a youtube video for a 117-year old company and 60-year old designs has much, if any, legal value. It could, however, scare some people out of making copies and bring in an insignificant amount of licensing revenue. That outcome is fine since Gibson is a business and needs to make money, but I think the public relations cost of going about it this way outweighs the benefits.

I can't see other manufacturers, which in contrast are well-managed and successful and protect their own intellectual property, putting out something like this.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Gold Supporting Member

Traditionals haven't had weight relief since at least 2017 (I think it may have gone away in 2016.) My 2017 Traditional has no weight relief. The Traditional weight was very much in line with the new Standards.

The current 50s Standard is a 2017-2018 Traditional with 2 changes; 1) The truss rod plate, 2) The nut is no longer nylon.

Jabby92 and presence like this.
  4. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

And yet, Fender is still doing quite well despite the hundreds of models of Fender body shape clones out there...why is that? And their low end guitars maintain the authentic headstock shape and look...

5. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Oh man, the exact opposite.

The younger crowd grew up with anti-bullying campaigns, inclusion etc being taught to them at every corner. Aggression of any kind is typically looked down upon / shy'd away from / just not "cool" to the young crowd.

To me this was the exact opposite, trying to appeal to the older crowd that grew up with sex/drugs/rock and roll and just "git er f'n done" attitudes. It's an old tired stereotype that nobody is buying these days.

Go look at Fenders branding and videos.. it's pastels, and (very importantly) female players, appealing to new learners and trying to dispel anxieties of picking up a guitar for the first time. Fender is doing a great job at appealing to the young crowd.

This aggressive stuff is archaic, old, and totally misses the boat if they had any idea to appeal to the young crowd.

6. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't the famous Les Paul that Slash played early in GNR a non-Gibson Les Paul?

MikeMcK, cutaway, cosmic_ape and 9 others like this.
  7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I see your point. I’m thinking though of the crowd that loves aggressive movies, loves to be a fan but get all in the athletes face, etc. We even see commercials glorifying youth talking trash while playing sports, or celebrating every little thing as if it’s the greatest in the world. I think there is that me first, in your face attitude that some young folks really embrace. Maybe that’s more Gibson’s target audience.

Gevalt and presence like this.
  8. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

IIRC correctly it was a Max.

presence likes this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That was a bad decision. The only reason that the Stratocaster became a "generic" shape is because Leo and the team at Fender created it...same with the Telecaster, Les Paul, SG. 335, etc. The judges in that case should have had expert witnesses stating that....
    I don't think that is Gibson's policy any more...
    Yes, Gibson should make a lightweight 100% American made R5,6,7,8,9,0 at 100% original specs with long tenon, holly headstock face, horse hide glue, and all other original appointments, for about $850...
    If another company is making what they, and maybe others, think is a superior product they should be proud enough of it to "at least" make it look like their own product, not like some other company's design from over 60 years ago...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Starshine, hotrats73 and presence like this.
  10. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

They are coming for you slash

fabronaut, Jecht, TVvoodoo and 6 others like this.
  11. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

This is true in many ways. I'm not that old and I'm the only person in my age group (20s) who has a Gibson. Most people I know have a Fender or Ibanez or some other 'metal guitar'. I do have a headless Kiesel that I got recently cause my background is jazz and fusion stuff and I really like headless guitars but thats the only 'modern' guitar I own.. my 3 other guitars are the Les Paul, a Stratocaster and a Telecaster.

Most of my friends were/are still convinced Gibson has 'bad QC' and only for 'old guys' until they play one and realize it actually sounds and plays a whole lot nicer than most of the stuff they have.. it cost a higher price for reason(s).

But anyway, Gibson is in a tough spot where they can't seem to ever please everyone. At least the Les Paul has more distinctive lines, like the new Modern model and stuff.. but they still have a ways to go it seems.

12. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Epiphone by Gibson, with the correct headstock shape...there you go Gibson, you don't have to even hire me. I just saved you millions in attorneys fees, and padded the bottom line with tons of additional sales. Will it cut into USA sales, sure a little, but easing production a little in the USA facilities will allow for better quality and innovation. Seems to work just fine for PRS and Fender...this isn't really rocket science.

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Max Baranet, I think?

14. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

Gibson has jumped the shark. Just make good playing guitars in the formats that have been around and you'll be fine Gibson. Everything else is trying too hard for no real purpose.

Customers don't owe companies anything. End of story.

15. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Nothing cooler and more rock n' roll then defending your IP.... Brand image managed! A+

favorite part of video: "stop putting tape over the headstock... we want to work with you, but also we could still sue you."

16. presence

presence Member

:p

Devin likes this.
  17. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Agreed. “Authenticity” is much more of a Gen Xer ideology.

presence likes this.
  18. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Kinda makes me wanna put tape on the headstock lol. But of course..... don't wanna ruin that nitro.

Vintage_, presence and Devin like this.
  19. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

that's an example allright..... of a man baby who got a guitar that wasn't set up to his liking.

20. Electricb

Electricb Member

It really is this simple. I would be shocked if they don't do this at Winter NAMM next year, if not earlier. If they are all about listening to customer feedback, then how could you ignore this?

Da Geezer and presence like this.