Gibson pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by vortexxxx, Feb 23, 2015.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

What kind of pots is Gibson using these days? They have a Gibson logo on the back. I heard they may no longer be using 500k pots. Is that true?
    I'm trying to decide if I should change the pots on my newly acquired 61 Les Paul/SG RI. I'm switching the pickups, so removing the pots wouldn't be a big deal, as I'm also going to switch to 50's wiring (and I have tons of pots, caps etc that I've acquired over the years).

[​IMG]

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

CTS on the better models

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Would that be on Custom Shop models only? What do they use on the cheaper models? This guitar was fairly cheap.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They used CGE for a long time. The CTS ones are on most models now but some Bourns as well ,no really bad ones.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

It's just the opposite, Gibson has used the duller-sounding 300k linear volumes ever since the "bad" days of the late '70s, and only in the past few years has relented to going back to the classic 500k audio volumes on many (but still not all) guitars.

6. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

MY SG Special came with 250k pots from factory. I replaced them with the CTS, True Vintage Taper pots. It made a world of difference.

As a side note, I was under the impression that the higher end models all had 500k pots in them...however, I could be wrong on that notion.

7. walterw

historic pauls have had 500ks for a while, linear volumes up to around '09, audio tapers after that.

The new generation of regular LPs with the push-pull pots are also now 500k audio.

Most of the rest of the stuff is still 300k linear volumes.

8. still.ill

still.ill Member

I emailed Gibson for info regarding the pots in my 2013 Memphis ES-335---- he said they were 500k---- would there be any noticeable difference with the 550k pots that are put in the historic nashville es-335s?

9. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Depends on how good your ears are.. (and yes.. there are people who have ears that good). BUT I will just add that most of the pots from CTS I have seen are +/- 20% so 500K could be anywhere between 400 and 600K (although most I have actually tested were within 10% so 450 and 550)

10. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

What pots would you expect to find in a 2009 LP Studio Plus? I love the sound of my bridge pickup, but the neck pup by itself could use a little more bite. (I think they're 490s, which ought to be a bit more aggressive than Classic '57s.)

11. walterw

easy way to tell;

plug into a totally clean amp, then switch to one pickup and work the volume control; if it seems to smoothly sweep from off to full volume, you've got the 300k linear volumes, and if it drops off really fast between "10" and "8" you've got 500k audios.

(by the same token plug into a crunchy amp and the linears stay loud all the way down to like "5" then fall off suddenly, while the 500k audios evenly transition from lead gain to rhythm crunch to bluesy clean to really clean as you turn them down.)

12. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I have treble bleeds on both pickups -- wouldn't that affect the perceived volume taper? My volume pots seem to sweep pretty smoothly from 10 down to about 3 or 4, and then drop very quickly.

13. walterw

yeah, treble bleeds can seem to slow down the dropoff. still sounds like you might have the linear tapers, though.