Gibson Price Increase…Again?

spencer096

I can’t blame Gibson for raising Prices.

inflation hits everything.

But I have said it a hundred times. I miss Henry J.
I bought 3 Gibsons - almost 4 while he was CEO.

Zero under this new CEO.

He sues other guitar companies & likes/ View attachment 625715 a lot.

That’s all I know about him. Can’t blame him for raising prices in this era.
For all we know, / probably raised price for his autograph too.

send me a stimulus check. I’ll buy a View attachment 625733 signature Gibson
& a few Ethereum tokens. The way $ETH is crashing, it will be $200
before the rending of garments & gnashing of teeth days for crypto.

I’ll have what he’s having

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if they just haven't set some of the increases yet. I noticed that the SG Standard now costs more than the LP Studio and they were the same price after the last round of increases, and the SG Tribute is now the same price as the LP Tribute when they were $100 less than the LP Tribute after the last increase.

So I'm wondering if some things just haven't gotten their price increases yet.

Viision

I wonder if they just haven't set some of the increases yet. I noticed that the SG Standard now costs more than the LP Studio and they were the same price after the last round of increases, and the SG Tribute is now the same price as the LP Tribute when they were $100 less than the LP Tribute after the last increase.

So I'm wondering if some things just haven't gotten their price increases yet.
I saw that too. But I wonder if the Studio line is just their way of marketing “budget” vs “authentic” or whatever the hell goes through their minds. Gibson is a masterclass in bad PR and pushing away potential buyers.

Gurn

I’ll have what he’s having

Here's the deal. If Mr. J.C. Curleigh issues a budget-friendly ES-Les Paul -

even if it's a
1655095866277.png
signature ES-Les Paul, (let's say at $1.2k or less w/ COE). I'll toast Mr. J.C. Curleigh & Slash.

Maybe if he wins a few more lawsuits & squeezes down fret-sizes a bit more, he & KKR can find a way.

But maybe KKR is the bad guy here. Look at this story from June 2021.

Even so, I still miss Henry J. I coulda bought an ES-Les from CME for $800 in 2017 at blow-out prices.
I'd already bought 3 Gibsons though. So I let it pass. It's the one that got away. They're selling for $2k now.

Last edited:

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
I doubt anyone will buy a Gibson at those prices. Watch for sales numbers to quickly fall to zero units sold per year. Literally ZERO.

stamsd

Silver Supporting Member
I doubt anyone will buy a Gibson at those prices. Watch for sales numbers to quickly fall to zero units sold per year. Literally ZERO.
I am guessing the only "0" will be the sixth one after the second comma.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Noticed this morning.

50's LP Goldtop w/P90's up $300 (didnt check but I imagine al the Standard LP's went up) to $2799 (which was the Slash model price)
LP special w/P90's TV yellow up $300 to $1799
Jr only went up $100 to $1599

e???

Oh it’s less inflation and more corporate greed. You can’t tell me inflation and then present record corporate profits, clearly the price of goods is massively outpacing the cost of production.
I'd turn that backwards, it's more inflation because of insane money printing (quantitative easing, QE) and cheap credit for almost the last 40 years, but especially after the '08 crisis. Record corporate profits isn't everyone or even close, and even when that's true, adjust it for inflation and it's all pretty par for the course. Blame the politicians we elect and their policies, not some guy in a tower you'll never meet; you'll get more traction either way.

Nojopar

I'd turn that backwards, it's more inflation because of insane money printing (quantitative easing, QE) and cheap credit for almost the last 40 years, but especially after the '08 crisis. Record corporate profits isn't everyone or even close, and even when that's true, adjust it for inflation and it's all pretty par for the course. Blame the politicians we elect and their policies, not some guy in a tower you'll never meet; you'll get more traction either way.

Corporate profit margins are up, not just profits. That means corporations are taking advantage of the situation to make more money than they would if they simply adjusted for inflation. The expect most of us to accept it as 'inflation, whatdayagonnado?' and not call'em out on it.

Daniel C

Noticed this morning.

50's LP Goldtop w/P90's up $300 (didnt check but I imagine al the Standard LP's went up) to $2799 (which was the Slash model price)
LP special w/P90's TV yellow up $300 to $1799
Jr only went up $100 to $1599
That didn't happen all at once. Your numbers reflect two price increases, I believe. Doesn't mean it's good, but the first price increase was late last year or early this. And I think the LP Special started out in 2020 as $1599.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Oh it’s less inflation and more corporate greed. You can’t tell me inflation and then present record corporate profits, clearly the price of goods is massively outpacing the cost of production.
Sure I can.

Or have you not noticed that everything has gone up and supply chains are still significantly interrupted?

Toss in record guitar sales in 2020-2021 where manufacturers couldn't keep up. What would you do if you owned a biz and everything continued to go up? Keep your product the same price?

Sure I can.

Or have you not noticed that everything has gone up and supply chains are still significantly interrupted?

Toss in record guitar sales in 2020-2021 where manufacturers couldn't keep up. What would you do if you owned a biz and everything continued to go up? Keep your product the same price?

The things you've described are happening, but as he said, profit margins are also up (a lot).

They're BOTH true.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom