Gibson price increase

Rising prices have certainly made me less brand conscious. If I want a Les Paul now, I would probably just get a Vintage or Harley Benton. If I wanted a Stratocaster, it would be Mexican if it was Fender but more likely, I'd just get a Yamaha Pacifica. I'm helped by never being a particular brand snob anyway, though I have owned a Gibson in the past. I spent 10 years playing PRS SE Custom 24 guitars because a core seemed way too much money for the extra quality you received. An SE with upgraded pickups is at least 90% as good. I now have an LTD Deluxe for much the same reason.

C-4

I got my latest Gibson before the last price increase, and they are now doing that again?!

I learned long ago that I should find a backup brand of guitar/amp/other gear just incase something happened to my favorite brand, which would cause me to not purchase it again. This is a perfect example.

Malcolmallan

Never been an enormous fan of Gibson’s. I had an sj200 that I traded as the quality wasn’t great and it’s rare that i pick up a Les Paul in a music store I like. The one exception is my collectors choice LP, it is a fantastic instrument.

spencer096

Does this mean Gibson’s quality control will work harder at making higher quality guitars to justify the increase?

giphy.gif

Coopster

I was wanting to grab a V at some point but it looks like I'll be waiting indefinitely. It's not like I need it, it's just a want.

I think it gets missed that part of inflation happening is in that supply and demand thing. Manufacturers increase prices in the hopes that sales will slow some and they can actually catch up to the demand. As dumb as that sounds, but you can't sell what you don't have.

sunking101

Inflation is hitting everything these days, so not sure why anyone is ragging on Gibson for this.
I think people take offence when luxury items which have massive mark-ups and already have mouthwatering price tags get price increases due to the pandemic.

When the cost of a bag of potatoes goes up $1 due to the rising cost of living folk understand it but when Gibson whack $400 onto an already extortionate guitar it doesn't sit so well. A lot of people are struggling to pay current prices.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
I think people take offence when luxury items which have massive mark-ups and already have mouthwatering price tags get price increases due to the pandemic.

When the cost of a bag of potatoes goes up $1 due to the rising cost of living folk understand it but when Gibson whack $400 onto an already extortionate guitar it doesn't sit so well. A lot of people are struggling to pay current prices.
There might be some truth to that . On the other hand I just read somewhere where their auto dealer was charging a 10000 dealer charge above and beyond the sticker price for a Toyota . Then look at the price people are paying for houses ! More complaining here about Gibsons specifically. Not so much on other companies though.

audiomo

Silver Supporting Member
There might be some truth to that . On the other hand I just read somewhere where their auto dealer was charging a 10000 dealer charge above and beyond the sticker price for a Toyota . Then look at the price people are paying for houses ! More complaining here about Gibsons specifically. Not so much on other companies though.
Yep, just had that happen to me with a Ford I ordered in October, they are now adding on an extra 10 grand in "dealer fees" and told me if I didn't want it I could get my full deposit back and didn't even care to budge because they know if I don't pay it someone else will within a few days. Guitars going up a few hundred and people crying about it makes me laugh, most of us already have more than enough with the gear we already have to not need anything else at this point. Maybe a bit more time practicing instead of browsing reverb or collecting would do us all well.

Dead Parrot

That was me posting about that. Even with the $10k “market fee” above MSRP, they still can’t hold inventory. People are paying it for those Tacomas.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
That was me posting about that. Even with the $10k “market fee” above MSRP, they still can’t hold inventory. People are paying it for those Tacomas.
Dang , I’m sorry to hear about that and for audiomo too. Sucks.

MrTAteMyBalls

It's not just guitars guys. I am filling up a new rack with some studio gear(just cheap stuff....golden age...etc). The USED prices today are higher than the NEW prices were 6 months ago. New prices are 35 percent higher.

I am kicking my own ass for waiting another 6 months to put the rack together. It's probably gonna cost me an extra grand or cost me the same as new would have back then if I am patient and buy it all used.

But yeah these guitar prices can go. I will never buy another MIA guitar again....2 grand is now the entry point. No thanks. I have a USA strat. I'm good.

My firefly LP with Pearly Gates pickups sounds and plays as good as any Gibson I ever owned, anyway.

People outraged at a "price increase" must have just woke up from a long nap.

And if you have the money to buy brand new guitars, cars, etc, please stop crying, you have more money than the rest of us.

I started playing in 1976, bought a buddy's Yamaha red label FG-75 for $75, he needed money to go to Alaska to work in the oil drilling. Started playing electric in 1980, one too many Angus solos pushed me over the edge.

I've had hundreds of guitars since, never bought a new one, and I never will because I'm basically poor, blue collar.

DarrellM5

Most of my collection is complete; thank God.

There are still a couple guitars I'd like to pick up though (another ESP and another PRS). This might be a great time to take advantage of 36 or 48 month 0% financing to lock in the current prices. I'm not suggesting anyone go into debt to buy gear but it is a way to protect against inflation. I can afford both of the guitars I want but I'd prefer to sell a few others to cover them instead. This would buy me some time.

Steadfastly

As they raise the prices, people will continue to look elsewhere and they will just keep losing market share. The competition may also raise prices at the same percentage but raisingthe price on a $500.00 ticket by the same percentage point as a $2000.00-3500.00 guitar is a heck of a lot less money. The price difference between the two just keeps getting wider.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom