Gibson quality issues? Prove it with pictures.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by circusinthesky, Feb 21, 2010.

1. lpfella

lpfella Member

Since it seems that seeing is believing for the OP, I wonder how many issues you can find on a new LP would show up in pictures. For example, have a 76 LP that has its bridge drilled just millimeters off. Far enough to cause major problems playing it but nothing you can really tell by looking at the instrument.

Still one of my favorite players. Local luthier slotted the saddles to compensate for poor quality building.

But here is a picture of the guitar with the poorly drilled bridge posts. IT is the 76 standard on the right.

[​IMG]

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I was cleaning my SG Std and noticed this on one side on four frets. How serious? I bought it new in '08 from GC. Is this a warranty issue or considered normal wear and tear for two years? It is an 06 model.

My ESP is an 08 model purchased a month later and has no issues.

3. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Are they spraypainting the binding over the frets?

4. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Supporting Member

My Gibson has some minor aesthetic flaws like binding overspray, off-center output jack, misc. inlay issues, missing paint on top-edge of headstock, and horrible soldering. However, it plays and sounds amazing. It's also in immaculate condition for a 31 year old guitar. Nut's been replaced, bridge has been replaced, bridge pickup replaced. Pots are scratchy and noisy, but the thing's older than I am. So I can't complain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

I have owned 4 Gibsons. All of them except my Les Paul Studio Robot have Gibson "Deluxe" tuners.

How do you show tuners doing a poor job of holding tune in pictures?

6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

My 2008 ES 339 had the famous sinking neck pickup that I remedied by flipping the pickup ring, and some file marks on the fretboard. But the deal-killer came when I looked inside the pickup cavity and saw a tenon that looked like it had been chewed on by a small animal. I didn't stop to take any pictures on its way out the door, but it looked even worse than this one, and the gap was filled with sawdust and glue:

[​IMG]

"Custom Shop," my ass.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  7. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

You know when you're sitting high on top everyone starts looking to chop the tree down. For Gibson this started in the 50's. The old school players were agast that Gibson would even consider a solid body guitar. Even their own employee's ,who considered themselves craftsmen of the highest order balked at working on Les Pauls! Well it didn't get any better in the 60's. Demand skyrocketed and quality fell. It's hard to hold late 60's or early 70's 335's or SG's in the same league as those from the early 60's. A change of ownership didn't help. While some of the 70's guitars have held up as collectable most haven't. Things got better. The LP reissues are mostly good. Custom shop has put out some good guitars. The problem is their image. On one hand they are THE premier American guitar company. Who can argue with the impact their instruments have played in modern music. On the other hand, they continue to live off their past and their quality has been surpassed by many manufacturers. As many have attested to they can produce a good or even great guitar, but don't you think they could do better? Frankly, I just don't think they care. ("they" being management).