Gibson R0 VOS Darkburst or Fractal Axe FX?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PFCG, Dec 20, 2009.

R0 VOS Darkburst -vs- Fractal Axe FX Ultra

1. R0 VOS Darkburst

2. Fractal Axe FX Ultra

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey Guys, i'm at a crossroads in my gear acquisition syndrome laden life.

I have made up my mind that i want to get either the Fractal or the LP to add to my rig.
    I want the Fractal because i could use it to record, and use it for effects with my Two-Rock. I don't have a massive high gain amp that i so desperately want, and i was leaning towards some really nice stuff like a Herbert, OD100PT, or the fractal. I also think it would be awesome to use it with my TR for verbs, delays, compression, etc. I could always use this in my rig, but i would have to get some K12s or some other powered monitors, and the dilemma is that i will have to buy a bunch of other stuff in addition to the Axe. I also want them to update it with a USB port and better editing software. I'm afraid ill buy mine and then they will update it.

On the other hand, Every day at work i see this R0 VOS Darkburst LP.
    As a precursor, i hate Les Pauls, but this one is really nice.
    Its probably the first one I've ever liked, and is most certainly the only one i want.
    Ive played all of the R9 VOS models, the Murphy Aged Goldtop,
    and countless other Custom Shop, VOS, and Vintage Les Pauls and i
    have never really loved them. The tone on this R0 is really killin'.
    Its better than any other LP I've ever heard hands down.
    The Dilemma here is that i already own an old PRS, a Custom Suhr STD, a Custom Alembic, a Custom shop Parker Koa, a Parker Fly Mojo, A D'Angelico 17inch and a Breedlove Custom Acoustic.
    Its Getting to be overkill. All of my guitars are killer players.
    The only ones i would part with are the PRS and the D'Angelico. But i would only sell them if i could get like 900 and 600 respectively.

What should i do? On one hand i have a killer piece of gear i could slim my rig down with, and record with, as well as gain a PA system out of the deal.
    On the other hand, a piece of gear that will never go out of style or be outdated, but may be overkill, considering how much gear i already own.

Help me out guys!

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I say you get the guitar. You may never find another LP that speaks to you like this R0 does. If you pass and someone else buys it you may regret it for a long time. You can alway get an Axe-FX later.

3. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Every time I get sucked into buying modeling gear, I spend a month loving it and my amps sit idle. I noodle with the digital stuff and have a great time, then eventually I plug in my real amp. And every damned time I do this, I immediately put the modeling gear up for sale. The modeling gear is great for many things, it's convenient, good for recording especially. But none of it, I don't care how much $$ it costs or how people rave about it, has any soul.

Buy the R0.

4. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Ditto

5. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

I voted the Axe-Fx.

It's really good.

6. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

No doubt the Axe-FX Ultra is the best modeling unit out there right now. BUT... it is a SS electronic device that is probably VERY consistent from one to another. You can't say that about guitars!

If the OP waits to get an Axe-FX in, say, a year or so it would be virtually identical to one purchased today, maybe even better (upgrades). He may never find another LP like this one so IMO it would be wiser to get the guitar now and the Axe-FX later.

7. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

The R0 -- if you let a great one like that get away, you'll probably regret it forever.

8. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

No doubt, but, I'm thinking that if he hates Les Pauls as he says, then this would end up being flipped.

Who knows? I'm just thinking that I like my Ultra and recommend it to anybody.

9. jcj

jcj Member

I have and love the Axe Fx, however, if you found a LP that you love, buy it NOW!

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

ok i took the plunge, here she is!

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

12. blkjazz

blkjazz Supporting Member

Yep

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Smart move, anytime you find a guitar that speaks to you like that you should try and grab it. Modeling amps will come and go, and keep getting better and cheaper.
    A guitar is something different.