Gibson R4 or Gustavsson Bluesmaster Special?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratoben127, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I'm looking to pick up one of these guitars to use along with my Historic SG (my favorite guitar ever). I was thinking of getting another SG but decided I'd like a little change but not something totally on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'll have one of them in a Open E for some stuff and one in Standard and use both guitars in each tuning and for slide however I feel like doing it that night.*
    Option one is a 2007 Gibson R4. It's pretty checked which I like, has upgraded plastics, and Wolfetone pickups. I have a Les Paul Standard that I don't play anymore since I've never been a huge Les Paul guy, but the P90s and wrap tail could add some cool tones to my arsenal, especially for the Dead stuff. They also could be noisy though, which I don't like. I do admit that having a classic design and Gibson on the headstock is a plus for me.

Option two is a Prototype PBG Gustavsson Bluesmaster Special. This is a sweet relic Goldtop (all gold actually). It will have better upper fret access for all the slide playing I do and be a little more comfortable with a forearm and back contour, and about a pound less weight. It's all Mahogany with Throbak humbuckers too so it will have a little added thickness and be more similar to my SG.

The LP would leave me with about $800. The Gustavsson would cost me all I have saved which I don't mind. I'm really torn between the two.

2. serial

serial Member

What year, finish, etc is your LP Std? Asking because I have an R4 that I don't get to play enough because I use stuff with humbuckers. My #1 is my VOS SG/LP Standard-awesome guitars!
    Unfortunately, I don't see enough R4s FS to get a good idea of what they're selling for.

3. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

My Standard is a 2005 Standard Faded in Tobacco. It's really worn and signed by Warren Haynes so that's on the "no-sell" list.

4. serial

serial Member

I'd keep that one too!
    I was looking at a Norlin Standard-always had a soft spot for those-love the way they sound.

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

6. snarkle

snarkle Member

I'm contemplating the same Gustavsson. I think you should buy it to save me from a decision my bank account would regret.

7. DamianL

DamianL Member

That gustavsson is one of the greatest looking guitars every made.

So there's that...

D

8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I think the R4 would be easier to sell should you ever be inclined. My #1 is a VOS Historic SG as well. What a killer rock machine!

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

I dunno...If the OP bought the Gustavsson and didn't like it, I could get $2500 to him in a matter of minutes... :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015