Gibson R6 Owners?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PhilcoFord, Nov 13, 2005.

1. PhilcoFord

PhilcoFord Member

I would just like to know from you guys whether the necks on these things are uniformally huge C shapes or whether there is a lot of variability among individual instruments.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

There is always SOME variability in the 'R' series, but they're usually pretty close to one another of the same vintage. I find that the biggest differences result from the year of mfg. I would define the neck shape as a big C, just bordering on D.

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Mine definately has a huge neck, but it certainly isn't uncomfortable. I love mine, wouldn't change anything about it. Great sustain!

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Mine's an '01 with a big neck, I'd call it a big C. Slightly smaller than the R8 neck I'm familiar with.

jc

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

My R6 ia the same size as my R4 but my R9 is slimmer.

6. PhilcoFord

PhilcoFord Member

Hey thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking at what I think it is a 2004. Its neck is really big, much larger than that of my 2001 R8 (which is pretty big). Do you think if I hunted around for a 2001 R6 the neck would be similar to my R8?

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't say, mine is one the only '01 I've played. I think the place I got it from may have said they thought the neck was a tad slim for an R6 (meaning they might generally be a tad bigger than an R8) but who knows...? I don't have enough 1st hand experience to judge.

jc

8. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

My '96 has a baseball bat (very big) neck. I've never been totally comfortable playing it, but the tone makes it worth the extra effort.

9. jetlag

jetlag Member

My 2003 R6 had what I called a "Clown Shoe" neck. It was that ridiculously large. It made my harmony archtop's neck feel small when I switched to it. Sort of a U shape if you ask me. Not that wide, but exceedingly deep. I own a real '56 goldtop and don't get what gibson was thinking when they did that. And this is on a braz one - supposedly the model where it all came together (accuracy wise). I played an earlier R6 (once it was too late) - It had a great neck on it. Wider and not as fat in back. More C shaped. Can't remember what year though. Earlier than 2002.

10. jetlag

jetlag Member

11. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I have a 2004 R7 with a large thick rounded C neck. I also have an 2004 R4 Cloud 9 that has a more of a D shaped neck that is not quite as thick as the R7 of the same year. They are both a joy to play.