Gibson responds to bankruptcy reports

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by COYS, Feb 22, 2018.

1. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

I think it is more accurate to say dying companies they bought and couldn't figure out how to save.

2. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

The banks may not have a choice, a judge will get to say what happens if they go into bankruptcy.

3. ieso

ieso Member

4. badhorsie551

badhorsie551 Member

Are you surprised that armchair guitarists are questionable financial experts as well??

stratotastic likes this.
  5. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Seriously, wtf is “Chickering”?

6. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Yes but Henry doesn't want to go there. He wants to get the banks to bend to his will which I don't see happening. Even in court they can make an awfully good argument for mismanagement and are likely to win that argument. No guarantees but unless Henry has found private investment they are in a very bad position.

7. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

I have all the Gibaons I need.

Whatever happens:
    :munch

8. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

Actually if it goes to court I don't think the banks can make much of a case at all for mismanagement.
    Are they going to say he wasted the money on Onkyo,Philips etc.? They knew what he was doing when they lent him the money.

Over the last year he has sold unneeded real estate to generate cash, eliminated underperforming divisions (Cakewalk), reintroduced a dormant brand ( Steinberger), in short he has made all the right moves from a financial standpoint. Combined with his record for the last 30 years , I think if they do end up in bankruptcy, Henry keeps control.

9. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I could give a rats anus about Gibson, but it’s that they took down Cakewalk with them. The employees too.

10. webe123

webe123 Member

OH PLEASE! Henry J has had an ego so big, he thinks the "creations" from gibson like the FIRETURD X....were going to "revolutionize the guitar industry"! Guess what....IT DIDN'T! It was an absolute flop! ( No surprise to me) Not to mention the new modern flying V or any of the monstrosities in between. Then there are the failed companies Gibson invested in...which there are many! It just goes to the thinking of the top brass that has gotten themselves into this mess to begin with! I for one do not want to see Gibson fail as some on this board stupidly think.... that if you want to see change at Gibson...you must be rooting for their demise...I want to see Henry J fail as it is in the best interest of Gibson to have a new CEO! I really do think that new management could turn this around, but as long as you have the old management....they are going to keep making the same mistakes over and over and over! Time for a change at Gibson....time for Henry J's leadership to end!

11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Pianos.

EL34 and Elantric like this.
  12. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

The statement by Gibson translates to “we’ve been selling stuff (‘monetizing assets’) and we’re going to get the best financial results ever within a year by.... selling a ton more stuff really fast at rock bottom prices. We’re gonna focus are energy on stuff that sells (‘upside’)....”. There isn’t a word in this on how they plan on competing but they’re a private company so they don’t have to talk about it.

13. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

I have to agree with this, or at least towards the Gibson and Fender brands. Modern brands, such as PRS and Taylor, are encouraged to come up with something new, while most guitarists looking at a Gibson want a REAL Gibson, without chambering, without quick-connect (easy to assemble production line) electronics, without lame ass robot tuners, without "Les Paul 100" scribbled on the headstock by a kindergartner, without a lame "adjustable" brass nut and without a $2,900 price tag for a regular Standard Les Paul. They really blew it in 2015, trying to be innovative. By mid-2016, these crappy '15 models were being dumped at ridiculous discounts at my local Guitar Center, which was sad to see. They corrected some of these mistakes in 2016, but I'm sure the company took a huge blow and lost a lot of core customers, by then.
    I bought my first Les Paul Custom in '83 (a '79, yes, I have dated myself, if my handle didn't already) and it has a PERFECT neck profile. So do all of my many other Gibsons through the 80s and 90s. Then, some jackass in the marketing or "innovation" department thought it would be a good idea to issue LPs with a fat 50s (ridiculous and almost unusable) or a slim 60s (big flat area on back of almost D shaped neck?) instead of the wonderful neck profiles they have always had? Nonsense. Then, they flooded the market with so many in-between models (faded, professional, special, tribute, classic, traditional pro, traditional T, etc, etc) that you have no idea what you're buying, just that it's cheaper than the "Standard" or "Custom" models and looks about the same. I try to avoid anything from Gibson made in the last 15 years. (I buy, sell, play and collect a lot of guitars) I've seen many with the fit and finish being worse than the $300 Chibsons. The have become a money machine that no longer produces "fine instruments", they're just "units" to them. Even most of the reissues are crap, for the price.
    The Gibson brand will not be going under in any of our lifetimes. But, they have survived on their name alone for far too long and now must take a long hard look at what got them there in the first place.
    Mr. Les Paul would be so pissed if he ever saw a 2015 Les Paul, probably just as pissed as he was in 1961 when they ripped off the maple cap, cut another cutaway and tried to call the SG a Les Paul.

14. Simto

Simto Member

I just want a nice plain top R58 Les Paul with a nice fat neck... so please don't die before I get that.

15. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Maybe Epiphone is gibson's cash cow

Elantric likes this.
  16. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

I HAD to have an R8 a few years ago. Drove from San Diego to LA to finally get a deal on one. Most beautiful bourbon burst I think I've ever seen. The fit & finish was nowhere near perfect, didn't care for the Burstbucker pickups and the neck was so clubby and slow, I dumped it after one rehearsal. Never made it to a show. I'm not going anywhere soon, but you'd be a fool to buy a new one of those.

17. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Piracy killed cakewalk.
    Piracy and competition

18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Henry made sure my Gibson warranty work got fixed promptly after the weak, ‘I’m a victim’ dealer was afraid to press Gibson on where it was after sitting at Gibson for two months. I emailed Gibson addressing Henry in it on the issue and a guy on his staff called me the next day promising to get me an answer in 24 hrs. He did and the guitar was back to me within the week. He may have gotten unfocused with all the acquisitions and experiments but he’ll get it back.

Pedal Dan and toomanyamps like this.
  19. brain21

brain21 Member

IDK, those 70s Custom Van Les Pauls that no one has been asking for tho... <headdesk>

20. brain21

brain21 Member

I just don't want Epiphone to go away. :( Ef the "Modern V" - I could buy 2 or 3 Brent Hinds Vs and 2 or 3 Amos Vs for the same price or less. And they look better, and probably sound better. And its 4 or 5 guitars for the price of 1.

And then there is the True Traditional LP. They wany almost $10k list for that. WTF? I can go get a Gustavson or Monty or any number of WAY better guitars for that price or even half.