• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson Reverse Firebird -- neck question

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
I've only ever had the opportunity to play one of these guitars, which had a baseball bat style neck. Super thick.

Are they all that thick? Is that common or do they vary?

I want a Firebird, but not one with a crazy thick neck.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
Mine has a slim neck, 2005.
I've never played one with a fat neck (like an R8), but I'd love one.
The one I played was like an R6, maybe even thicker! It's a Iverness Green version at the guitar center in St. Louis if you're interested.

Mpcoluv

I had a real'63 with a thinner neck.
Then a bicentennial firebird that had a fat neck. Haven't played a recent one.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Highly variable depending on era and what type of reissue. Can even vary a lot in the orignal early 60s versions.

gibsonES330

Custom Shop models have thick necks, Gibson USAs have much thinner necks (though this is a more recent development - they still had thick necks at least into the 80's and maybe the 90's).

sixty2strat

my 91 has a thin neck like an LP classic from that period, most USA have the same CS seem to be thicker. my 76 has a thick one

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
They are not all fat, some are actually too thin for my taste. The reverse, in my experience, are thicker than the non-reverse, but I've only played one reverse that was a real louisville slugger. Most I've played are what I'd describe as medium or even medium slim.

Dave Wakely

I have a 2009, and I'd describe the neck as slightly narrower but a little bit thicker than a modern contemporary Strat. The position that the guitar hangs in also changes the angle of arms and wrists, which is part of the feel euation.

Trending Topics