GIBSON ROBOT Accuracy and More

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lxm, Oct 15, 2008.

1. lxm

lxm Member

Just wondering if anyone actually has one of these? They have dropped in $ quite a bit lately. A few questions for anyone who can help [​IMG]

How accurate is it?

How quick does it ACTUALLY tune the guitar?

How long does the battery stay charged for?

How many tunings can you store?(I use alot of alt tunings.... the one reason i'm considering this)

If I use a capo will that be a problem? A440 but then I put a capo on the 4th, 8th fret etc. Will it know how to tune it properly?

Finally, do you think this will last the test of time? I am worried about having this useless technology attached to my SG in a couple of years. Is there some sort of guarantee?

2. lxm

lxm Member

A fella on HC directed me to this:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/gibson-robot-guitar/Feb-08/33503

It helped. I'm still???? on the below tho:

How many tunings can you store?(I use alot of alt tunings.... the one reason i'm considering this)

If I use a capo will that be a problem? A440 but then I put a capo on the 4th, 8th fret etc. Will it know how to tune it properly(W/ Capo on)?

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

I don't think it would work with a capo. it would try to tune the capo'd note to whatever is selected.

It WOULD work if you put a capo on and work in an alternate tuning that recognizes those notes, so if you put a Capo at the 5th fret and set the tuning to A-D-Gwhatever

I THINK they can store 2 alt tunings apart from the ones built in, but I'm not 100% sure on that

4. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

According to Gibson's web site it can store six programmable tunning plus the standard EAGDBE tunning. They state it can retune the guitar to a different tuning in seconds!

As regard the capo, surely you would program the tunning without the capo. When required you would select the required tuning before placing the capo on the neck. When the guitar has finished tuning place the capo on the neck. Or am I missing the point?

5. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

[​IMG]
    It accepts standard + 6 other tunings. They come preset as:
    -Standard
    -Drop D
    -DADGAD
    -Open E
    -E Flat
    -Open G
    -Double Drop D (DADGBD)

but can all (except standard) be reprogrammed.

You can set tuning accuracy to 6 different levels, with an accuracy of as little as 2.5 cents at least accurate to an accuracy of 0.2 cents at most accurate

the more accurate you dial it in, the more time it takes to tune.

I wrote an extensive review of my Robot here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=410808
    in it I timed the move from Standard to DADGAD in the two extremes of accuracy, using a fresh set of strings. Less Accurate = Faster.

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

oh, I should add. I've had this since the spring, it is my most used guitar, I charged it fully when I got it, and I've only had to charge it once again since then. they say it's good for about 500 tunes.

as for longevity. we'll have to wait and see. so far, I've had no issues