Gibson Robot

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jven, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

For those who have one or have played one, either LP or SG, what can you tell me about it?? Considering one :)

2. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I wasn't impressed. Bought the LP when Sam ash blew them out at $999. It played like a studio but the robot thing was just weird. I tied the new Etume and liked it more but haven't gotten it.

3. farkas

farkas Member

The other guitar player in one of my bands has one. I played with him for two years before he admitted it. Nice looking Les Paul, cool blue finish, plays OK. A total disaster on every other level. Great for quiet unplugged electric guitar rehearsals without the rest of the band in the living room while his GF is sleeping.

4. cap47

cap47 Member

Get an Etune instead, Robot needs tender loving care and Gibson is not supporting it as they should. Mine has excellent tone but I no longer can use the auto tuners. I pulled the MCK and put in a regular tone pot 500K.

5. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I played on in the store and thought it was more neat than really useful. Yeah, it tunes your guitar, but is that convenience worth a) the additional cost, and b) the potential problems associated with the tuning system? I've also heard that Gibson isn't really supporting the model much, which leads me to believe they are backing away from that technology (though I could be wrong).

Peace,

6. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

Mine's still in good working order, but the Robot technology does take some TLC (as cap47 suggests). For example, here's a thread I began after owning the guitar for three years:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1195397

I may have gotten lucky, but mine has good resonance and volume unplugged, and sounds like a LP should plugged into a nice amp...:dude

Good luck!

7. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

Our singer got an original Robot LP as a gift when they first came out. She doesn't play very much so one practice, she brought it and we all passed it around. It is a great looking blue burst and plays like a dream. The tuning thing worked great. On the way out that night, she tripped and dropped the case and the Master Control Knob broke (everything else was fine). Unfortunately, the MCK is what controls all the Robot functions. She's been trying to get it fixed for months now. Even the Gibson repair places in town are giving her the run around trying to get it fixed. As a guitar, it's great, like most LPs. The technology is the bummer part of it. Nice idea, just poorly implemented and poorly supported.

8. sleep

sleep Member

I had (for a week until paypal made the guy take it back) a Robot Les Paul Junior I "won" on eBay. It was TV yellow but looked like it had been colored with a yellow crayon- awful. None of the tuning functions ever worked while I had it, and I tried everything recommended on the net to get it going.

The guitar was less than two years old. I can't imagine how bad the longevity is going to be for most, or what a pain it will be trying to get replacement parts. I'd avoid.

9. Londonbus

Londonbus Supporting Member

AVOID.

I worked for a very large Gibson dealer when those atrocities came out.

Every single one of us at the shop just shook our heads in disbelief that a product could fail on so many levels. We must have spent $100+ dollars replacing strings on these guitars when the computer "brain" didn't pick up on the tuning and kept tightening the strings until they snapped when you tried to demo the guitar. Add to that, most of the backs on these guitars were made from 3 and sometimes even 5 peices of wood. I literally felt embarrassed to sell them.

They sold out quickly, but probably did irreparable harm to our reputation. Every customer I've ever talked to who bought one said they ended up regretting it (And losing a lot of money... Those **** piles were NOT cheap).

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I was in a store recently where the guy demoed the newest "robot" Gibson... Here's what bugged me.

I can tune the guitar in less time, and better, than that technology did.

Skip it.

11. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I have an original robot. Blue. I still like it. I have been fortunate in that the guitar still works and sounds just fine although it is not heavily used. The master control knob is trouble. You have to become expert in tinkering with it (it loosens with use and you have to carry the little allen wrench with you at all times). The basic tuning function works for me. The main idea of changing tunings (which I use for slide guitar) works for me although slow. The intonation function does not work very well at all. The guitar itself is beautiful in my view. This was an experiment by Gibson that did not go well. I think you have to give them credit for trying things like this although I think old Henry ought to try to offer those of us who bought one some type of a thank you. I am keeping mine and hoping that someday a great great grandchild will find it is worth a fortune as an odd ball antique. Hope springs eternal.

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

My friend bought one of the SG's used for a great price and immediately uninstalled and sold the robot electronics on eBay, then installed standard tuners. Now he has a gorgeous SG that is quite unique.

13. Skiptrip

The back of mine looks like a single piece of mahogany :huh:huh

[​IMG]

These guitars had a street price of $2,500 before they were blown out by Sam Ash...so, I'd be surprised to see 3-5 pieces of wood on the back of them (though I suppose it's possible).

14. Skiptrip

BTW, for anyone having trouble with the MCK knob on the 1st Gen Robots, replacements are available from Gibson and Tronical:

http://store.tronical-components.com/powertune-1/

Tronical sent me instructions for replacement; it was easy to do, and I'm diggin' the black MCK:

[​IMG]

15. djy8131

djy8131 Member

Thanks for the link to the replacement parts. I have the 1st gen blue one. So far, it is working fine but I don't use it very much.

16. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'm NOT considering one anymore...

17. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

The new tuning system looks great

18. Londonbus

Londonbus Supporting Member

I was referring to the blue/silver "Nasa-Burst" looking ones when they first came out. There were several that had multi peice backs that looked horrid. After those we never touched any more variations of the Robot guitars.

19. pewing33ny

pewing33ny Member

Bought a silverburst SG custom in Sept 2009 (a steal at $750 with case) I've taken it around the country a few times and it's seen a bunch of gigs.

No problems until a few months ago when the top knob of the MCK fell off because the screw that keeps it attached fell out. It still has enough tension to be useable, just have to be careful. It's a quick fix (gibson sent me a new screw) but I've moved a bunch since and haven't had time to find and attach it.

Other than that I don't foresee any future problems, still works as if it were new. I think what happens is a lot of people play with the tuners when they're locked. It's the only guitar I don't let other people touch because of that.

I would NOT buy one used though, unless you wanted to just take out the robotics and use the guitar normally. Don't trust people.

20. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

The one I was considering was an SG offered to me for 799 with case, but the seller didn't mention anything being wrong about the electronics... plus i just returned a P90 LP (not a Robot) with a bunch of electronic problems so I rather not even try it... Thanks