Gibson Robot

I was in a store recently where the guy demoed the newest "robot" Gibson... Here's what bugged me.

I can tune the guitar in less time, and better, than that technology did.

Skip it.

Thousands of happy customers disagree, and thousands more tried to out-tune the Min-ETune at MusikMesse and they all lost. I think the guy demoing it for you must not have known how to use it properly. I can go from a whole step down to standard pitch in about 3-4 seconds on the Min-ETune. I'd like to see you do that with your hands.

The new tuning system looks great

And weighs less than a set of Grovers!

I asked 15 guitarists last week why they don't play in open tunings and all of them said it takes too long to get into a different tuning. Every one of them. I'm serious.

If you could be in ANY tuning you want in a matter of seconds, would you play around with open tunings more?

Would it inspire your songwriting?

Do you play in a cover band and hate taking 3-5 guitars a night....some of which only get used for one song in a non-standard tuning?

Yes, the early Robots weren't perfect, but it was a great starting point and launching pad for the Min-ETune.

All of my Robots work perfectly, and all of my friends that own them have no complaints either.

cap47

Thousands of happy customers disagree, and thousands more tried to out-tune the Min-ETune at MusikMesse and they all lost. I think the guy demoing it for you must not have known how to use it properly. I can go from a whole step down to standard pitch in about 3-4 seconds on the Min-ETune. I'd like to see you do that with your hands.

And weighs less than a set of Grovers!

I asked 15 guitarists last week why they don't play in open tunings and all of them said it takes too long to get into a different tuning. Every one of them. I'm serious.

If you could be in ANY tuning you want in a matter of seconds, would you play around with open tunings more?

Would it inspire your songwriting?

Do you play in a cover band and hate taking 3-5 guitars a night....some of which only get used for one song in a non-standard tuning?

Yes, the early Robots weren't perfect, but it was a great starting point and launching pad for the Min-ETune.

All of my Robots work perfectly, and all of my friends that own them have no complaints either.
I haven't mastered playing in standard tuning yet!:omg

korby

I see the original blue ones going for around $1000 on ebay , that kind of says something .

desceneisvals

Supporting Member
I had the original when the first run came out and each GC got like 2 or whatever - flipped it in 3 days and made $700. I have no idea why someone paid like $2,800 for that thing.

Honestly, it was garbage. Acoustically it was dead as a door knob. Just a studio with a weird blue finish and some crazy electronics.

porcytree

Always good to see an old thread bumped........

Not had any personal experience with any generation of Robots - always seemed like inviting problems by having " technology " so central to the function of a guitar.

However, one of my all time favourite players, David Rhodes, uses a Robot Les Paul ( not sure which generation - but I suspect Gen 1) for quite a few songs during Peter Gabriels' live sets ( different tunings required within individual songs) and once did a solo tour using just a Robot Les Paul and a laptop running Guitar Rig 4......so there must be some "worth" to them.

Trending Topics