GIBSON & RS Guitar Kits

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fixxxer, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Gentlemen -

I purchased an RS kit when I bought some WCR pups a few weeks ago. My results are consistent with that of the members of this forum, and I am considering upgrading some others guitars. The guitar that was upgraded was a standard Lester.

My next favorite guitar is also a Gibson, but is a historic model. This Lester speaks to me. I can only imagine what a nice set of Fillmores can do to my baby.:dude

The question is this.

How much better is the RS guitar works kit than the Gibson kit (with the bumble bees) that is currently in there?

Also, how does it impact the tonal qualities of the guitar?

If anyone has changed to and RS guitar works kit, but left the pups of your historic unchanged your input would be valued as well.:RoCkIn

Thanks for your help.

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

this is what i think....YMMV, but if it "speaks to you" then theres your answer....dont touch a thing.

i think alot of times we get hung up on this boutique thing, and figure that ALL guitar we own from now on need some esoteric pickups in there....truth be told, i have a very nice custom shop CS-336 w/ classic 57's which i dont normally care for, but the guitar as a whole sounds so frikken good that i cant get myself to change anything. i love it just the way it is!

3. Calloway

Calloway Member

A buddy of mine put an RS kit in his R7 Goldtop because his tone knob hardly worked at all. He is throughouly(sp?) impressed with the results. He raves about how much range he can get with the volume knob and seems really happy.

4. spence

spence Member

I sent my 1960 Historic to RS to have an aged job done to it and I had them put in the RS kit. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new set of pickups and the guys at RS said the guitar sounded great like it was and there was no reason to swap pickups. The original pickups came to life after the kit was installed. That really says something for those guys. They could've just said "yeah, new pickups will sound a lot better" and made another sale, but they didn't. When I got the guitar back I about crapped myself. This guitar just plain sings now. The tone just opened right up. I've had about 10 Historic LP's and this one just killed them all. I can't recommend that kit enough. Those Gibson caps might look like bumblebees on the outside, but they sound like junk in my opinion. Everyone in the world needs the RS kit in their LP. Oh yeah, and don't spend the money on new pickups untill you see what the Gibson PU's will do in conjunction with the kit. They can sound wonderful in the right guitar.

5. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

spence,

does your lester have burst buckers?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    With the RS upgrade, you'll get the most improvement if your stock pots are way off spec. The nomimal value is supposed to be 500K but they can vary quite a bit from spec. It's not uncommon to find 500K CTS pots measuring in the high 300Ks. The lower this value gets, the more tone you lose.

RS throws out the out of spec pots and sells the good ones. You can try measuring your existing pots with a multimeter, but you'll have to disconnect them first. By the time you've done this, you could have almost installed the RS kit.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Right on Pete. Totally agree. I had the whole RS shabang installed in one LP Historic, noticed scant improvement, and eventually traded it. OTOH, all of my 'keeper' Historics have all stock electronics and sound fantastic (that's why they're my keepers!). So while the RS package may marginally improve some guitars, if yours already sound great, I wouldn't mess with them...IMHO of course. AC

8. spence

spence Member

Hey Fixxer6671,
    My LP has it's original Burstbucker in it.

9. Junior

I agree with what these guys are saying in principle...

In this case, you've used one RS kit and loved it, so it stands to reason you'll love one in your Historic. :cool:

RS is, as it happens, one of my competitors. Thus, I have closely monitored every thread on the LPF relating to RS and their kits. I have to say Roy's customer service is outstanding, and the odds are strongly in favor of you preferring the RS parts to Gibson's.

Technically speaking, Gibson's pots are substandard, Roy's set a new standard. Gibson's bumble bees are a hoax, Roy's caps are the equal of any except, perhaps, the NOS Spragues. IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

10. sheikyerbouti

sheikyerbouti Supporting Member

I installed an RS kit in my r8 reissue, based on many positive comments. IMHO, I noticed little to zero improvement. I feel the kits are fairly pricey for what they are, and $11 bucks to ship around 3 ounces of product ain't cheap.

11. NativH

NativH Member

I've put RS kits in every Gibson I owned over the last 6-8 years and never been disappointed. As said by others Roys customer service is top notch. Once got a pot that was stiff and Roy sent out a whole new kit instead of just the pot. But there is one Gibson I have that doesn't need a thing, thank goodness. My AL ES355 sounds so good stock I don't want to hassle with the wiring mods to install the RS kit plus the Holmes 450/455's I have for it. And it takes a great tone to keep me from putting that stash in the ES. And I REALLY am thankful for that! If you love your existing tone, don't go to the trouble. BTW, those Gibson bumblebee's are anything but the real thing.

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

if you use your volume or tone knobs, it will make a HUGE difference. if you keep everyting on 10 all the time, the difference will be smaller. i was ready to swap out the burstbuckers on my r9 til i did the rs kit. no need to swap pups anymore.

13. Sterling#Sound

Sterling#Sound Member

I use RS kits in all my guitars ... for a reason. It opens up the pickups and tone, and makes the sound more woody and musical. Takes the shrill top off in my opinion. Then again I do use my volume and tone knobs all the time.

14. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I have an RS kit in a 335. You wouldn't even think it was the same guitar...it came to life.

15. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

RS kit = knobs that do something

16. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

RS kits just own in Gibsons. Both of the Gibsons I own have a modern RS kit in 'em and rock the house.

17. rrhea

rrhea Member

I think a new set of pickups, stock pots and caps and a treble bleed mod on both vol. pots would get you most of the way there for no more than the cost of the pups and a few cents worth of caps and resistors at Radio Shack.

I have the RS kits in all my Pauls (4 of 'em) and I think I could have done just as good sourcing my own CTS pots, caps and doing the treble bleed mod.

Even with my RS stuff installed I have the bleed mod in place... THAT is how you get the most out of a vol knob. No mod-less pot I have ever used, regardless of quality or meter readout, even comes close to a bad one with a treble bleed installed, IMHO.

Now, I do like a bright, snappy tone when a Paul is dialed down... not that fuzzy, round tone a stock Gibby pup and pot produces. Here is a cool trick, though... if you'd like both of those tones you can use a push-pull vol pot and install the bleed mod on the up postion. That way you could get both roll down tones, the warm and the bright. RS sells push-pulls, BTW.

Not digging on RS... I think their stuff is quality, but to my ears not sure I heard to much difference after installing the kits.

RR