Gibson S1 Wiring Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by joe_hd, Mar 13, 2008.

1. joe_hd

joe_hd Member

I'm trying to wire a friends Gibson S-1 back to original specs and cannot find a diagram. I called Bill Lawrence's shop and emailed, they said they would try to find a diargam but it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard from them. The Gibson website has a schematic but it doesn't help. I know ground is to ground and hot is to a switch, I need to know where on the multi contact switch the wires go. Please post info or email joenewton0413@aol.com.

Thanks,

Joe

2. wooldl

wooldl Member

Wow! You don't hear too much about the S-1. I have one that is still all original. Would you like some pics of the inurds? Or would a sketch help out?

3. joe_hd

joe_hd Member

Both would be very helpful. I have high speed internet so if you can, send the photos full size. If you would make a diagram that would be very helpful too. There are many requests for it on the internet so if I can get or make a good one I will post it for all the universe to use.

Thanks,

Joe

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Ahh, my first electric guitar. Shouldn't have sold that bad boy for $350 back in the 80's for the MIJ Contemporary Strat! Oh well, live and learn. Good luck finding your wiring diagram!
    [​IMG]

5. misterbas

misterbas Member

Hello Joe,

I was also looking for a wiring diagram, and surprisingly enough, it was on the Gibson website. There are actually two versions. I will email them to you okay?
    Do you happen to have some spare sparts?
    My S-1 has been modified by the previous owner, who added a lot of switches, thereby destroying the pickguard.

Kind regards,
    Bas

6. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I also have a version that I could email over....if misterbas's don't match, shoot me an email.

7. george4908

george4908 Member

Given a choice, go with the later wiring scheme that allowed use of the neck pickup by itself. Incredibly, the earlier versions of the S-1 did not do this.

8. scuttlemonster

scuttlemonster Member

Hi all...Great Forum!

I'm the proud owner of 2 S-1s (a '75 and a '78) and I'm currently rebuilding a third S-1 that I picked up on EBay that some twit refinished poorly and butchered into a Les Paul config.

I've stripped and refinished the old girl and have amassed most of the needed replacement parts (mainly from a GREAT NOS Ebayer named greatdealz1967 who gets old parts from storage in kalamazoo)

The only parts I'm having trouble locating are the 4-way rotary switch and the 2-way toggle.

Can ANYONE help me out with theses items??? I'd be eternally indebted.

Thanks all,
    Graham
    www.grahamgreer.com

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. neffer

neffer Member

i recently got an old s-1 and realized the wiring is messed up. i'm looking for wiring diagrams for one and can't find it on the gibson website. if anyone has pictures diagrams or anything i would really appreciate it.
    or you can email them to me

10. cybertechnico

cybertechnico Member

Howdy everyone,

I am new here, and I came across this forum and this thread, so I figured maybe I could be of some help.

I own a 75/76 S-1 that I had to totally re-wire.

I got it 30 years ago and stripped out the wiring it had because the switch was worn and noisy. Back then, I knew nothing about this guitar, and I thought up a bunch of stuff I would do to it with active electronics. Never did any of that, but I was still having to put it back together. After research on the web and with books and all of that, I decided on what I would do. With the knowledge that is not a collectible type of Gibson, I had no problem doing what I needed to do to make it worthwhile.

I did want to incorporate the 2nd version into my original version, and with doing this all from scratch, it turned out to be no problem. I decided not to use the 2nd version circuit, but use the original, and merely add the function I wanted. They altered the wiring to use the same components as before. I added to the circuit, using a different switch.

To make this long story short, I wired in a "Zero" position in front of the '1' on the pick-guard, which contains the neck pickup alone. I have 5 positions now, but the original 4 are still usable.

I also had to replace the bypass switch with a different type than the original. I just used a commonly available mini-toggle switch and fixed it up in the pick-guard with extra support to prevent flexing the pick-guard.

Well, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Cheers, and best regards

11. FarWestGeorge

FarWestGeorge Member

I have some S-1 parts, like the varitone, maybe the whole harness. I'd be very interested in getting the modified pickguard with switches that bas mentioned...FarWestGeorge

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015