Gibson sends cease and desist to Kiesel

mrilo

Just heard on the Kiesel weekly live q&a that Gibson sent Kiesel a cease and desist for the Ultra V and CS6 models. The ultra V was introduced in 87' or something and CS in 06. Seems similar to what they did with Dean, though Dean had been making the models they were after for a lot longer.

Curious, anyone know what happened with the whole Gibson Dean lawsuit thing? Wasn't there even a counter suit? Have not heard what the end result was as the Gibson chatter blew up after the Play Authentic video and I lost track of it with all all those mega threads.

GreatGreen

Great PR move Gibson!

You can definitely afford these PR disasters against the best known, respected, and generally well-liked up-and-coming guitar company in the industry, especially considering how fantastic your reputation is now since you did so well managing your image last year!

This is especially good considering that the guitars you're going after are so close to the Gibson design and in no way just as different from the Gibson stuff as every other LP-type or V-type guitar on the market.

To be completely serious though, hey Gibson, please get ****ed. Also, might want to watch out, your abject fear and anxiety of any other guitar company becoming more popular is showing.

Last edited:

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
Lol remember when their Chief Merchant guy was running his mouth off on social media? At Banker Guitars about lawsuits and IP? And then they "licensed" the V body shape to Banker and the CMO can't kiss Banker's a$$ enough nowadays?

Yeah.

Maybe they're just setting Kiesel up for a licensing agreement? Lol

I really want to like the new guys at Gibson. But in all reality, they really seem like azzclowns. IMO, of course.

I would like nothing better than for them to keep their chins up, pump out some great quality guitars at a competitive price and show me they know what they're doing. I hope they do. But I'm not holding my breath....

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
Just heard on the Kiesel weekly live q&a that Gibson sent Kiesel a cease and desist for the Ultra V and CS6 models. The ultra V was introduced in 87' or something and CS in 06. Seems similar to what they did with Dean, though Dean had been making the models they were after for a lot longer.

You left out the best part. Jeff Kiesel announced an extra $150 discount on the Ultra V to celebrate the letter. He then took one of the new X headless and went into the shop and cut off bits to turn it into a headless V. I think they are going to add that model now as well. I'm not a Jeff fan but this was pretty funny.

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Gold Supporting Member
So this is going to be their deal from now on?!

Cease & Desist. Then file a lawsuit until the defendant yields and signs a licensing agreement?

It's not as if the Venn diagram of Gibson buyers and Kiesel/Carvin buyers have very much overlap. Kiesel buyers are usually looking to spec out their own personal instrument regardless of traditional guitar moors. Gibson buyers are the ones that help establish the traditional guitar moors in the first place. If Kiesel went away tomorrow, their buyers are not going to flock to Gibson. These PR fiascos are seemingly designed for one purpose: creating a passive revenue stream by investing nothing but legal fees.

Trending Topics