Gibson SG-3

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mainsale, Jan 5, 2008.

1. mainsale

mainsale Member

Has anyone tried these Gibson SG-3's? The ones with the three blade single coil pickups and 6-way switching. How do they sound. They look interesting to me.

Mainsale

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

Shurely someone here must have some first hand experience?

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

I've seen those advertised online at GC and MF. They certainly have peaked my curiosity as well, but I have yet to see one of these in a shop to try out.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

5. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a New Gibson SG3 with the Humbucking pickups and it is a killer guitar. The 6-way switch gives you the strat postions and the in-between sounds have a nice quack!! The sixth position gives you the neck and bridge pickups together. I really love playing this guitar, it's light, the neck is fat and full and plays well, the 57 classic's are great pickups and overall he workmanship is excellent. Mine is Vintage Cherry and with the gold hardware it is impressive looking on stage. I find myself playing this guitar more than my 3 LP's that love, it's just the SG is easy on the shoulders and has a nice "live" sound to it.

6. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I have been interested in these, as well. Someone please step up & enlighten us.:D

Mark

7. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I can give a mini review. I have owned two of these guitars, the first one in Natural Mahogany, then when the Swamp Ash Fireburst came out I got one of those as well. I ended up selling the mahogany one.

It's hard to describe the pickups in the guitar, as they are ceramic magnet blade style single coils. They definitely don't sound like a Strat, and not really like a P-90 either. They are hot pickups, and they do have some of that single coil chime. They are good sounding pickups, but it's hard to describe tone with words. The six way switch is nice, as you can blend the neck and bridge pickup, kind of a unique sound. They are much hotter than strat/tele pickups, and can scream through the right amp. They don't seem to have unreasonable hum, not any more than a regular single coil (probably a bit less.)

The volume and tone controls work really well, seem to have a much more even sweep than my Fenders. Both guitars came well setup from the factory, with decent build quality. The mahogany guitar was a bit more mellow, a bit less snappy. Just a touch heavier than the swamp ash guitar. Both had good twang in the bridge position. Overall I would recommend them for something unique. Any other questions just ask!!

Seth

8. voojo

Here are a couple of pics for you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Me too Seth! I love my 3 bucker SG 3!!! I mostly use it tuned to open G - it's killer for slide work too! It'd be my #1 axe - but my R9 holds that position - firmly!

10. voojo

I can't believe you said that, as I thought the same thing after getting the guitar, it would be great to set it up for slide work. Also I have mine tuned to open G for my Black Crowes fix! Good stuff!!

Seth

11. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I have an affliction for "Gibson Strats" as I call 'em, so I had to get the SG-3 GOW. I agree with Voojoo that the pickups are not exactly stratish - they are real hot with a rich and bitey tone. The guitar was good out of the box, but it felt better to me after switching to .009's and raising the stop tail a bit - less stiff. Excellent fit and finish work, though I wish it wasn't the dull finish. Voojoo's shiny ash/sunburst is real purty. :dude

I bring it gigs as a change up to humbucker equipped guitars. It does a credible "in between" tone (bridge/middle) and covers SRV/Hendrix tones on the neck pickup. The addition of neck/bridge on the 6 way rotary is a nice touch - you can't get that on a strat. One small gripe is that if you set the pickups high to capitalize on their high gain, you can get an E string caught under the edge of the neck pickup especially. The pickups have a plastic top but are tape wrapped on the sides - hope they aren't prone to damage. The 6 way rotary takes some getting used to - not as intuitively obvious as a strat 5-way.

All in all a nice guitar. I recommend it for Gibson lovers who want to be able to get that single coil sound.

12. Custom50

Custom50 Member

That firebird is brilliant looking.

So are these SG's production guitars? or were they the guitar of the week models? I'm very interested in trying one out

13. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

I flipped an SG3 Fireburst. I agree with the other posters- the single coils are surprisingly hot. The guitar still seemed very SG in sound character but with a bunch of obtions.

14. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Cus -

The single coil SG-3's were GOW's - both natural mahogany and the sunburst ash. I think sweetwater still has a few left. The SG-3's with humbuckers are production models.

Thanks for the :AOK on the Firebird. She was badly brutalized and I spent a lot of money and time restoring her. Plays like a dream and sounds killer.

15. Custom50

Custom50 Member

wow, I've wanted a firebird like that for ages. Now I'm also GASing for one of those sg's too. I may have to move some gear to get one.