Gibson SG 61 reissue vs 62 reissue with maestro: worth the trade?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Jun 23, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Debating on picking up a 62 reissue SG with a maestro bridge and selling my 61 reissue. I really like my 61 reissue but have always wanted a maestro. I’m probably looking at a difference of $400-500 bucks. Anyone have any feelings one way or another on whether its worth it or not? Are the maestro’s bad in any way?

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat! :AOK

3. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I'm saying yes to this one.........

4. kingsxman

I should point out..I "believe" it to be a 62 reissue. He has all tags and case candy......but it doesnt say on there exactly what it is. I remember seeing a similar issue with another guitar I was looking at before I bought my 61. There seems to be a period where a "standard historic with vibrola" is another name for a 62 reissue. Not sure.... Can anyone comment on that?

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Keep what you have. If by Maestro you mean the bent metal vibrola...come on, they are of limited usefulness and don't do much for tone either. Is this a serious question? Are the Maestro vibrola's bad in any way? Excerpt for keeping an old guitar original they have no good characteristics.

6. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I agree they suck for staying in tune. But you can do what Derek Trucks does keep the cool metal top and put a stoptail in between so it looks cool. He uses a 62 reissue with that mod.

7. kingsxman

Yes, its obviously a serious question or I wouldnt have asked. I think they look great. So sue me. I wanted to find out if there are bad qualities that outweigh the "cool" factor. Sounds like tuning is an issue...with some people. Looking fore more input. Thanks.

8. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

Cut and shape the nut correctly....then lube the slots and the saddles and you won't have any tuning problems...

I've been playing my 62 re-issue with a Maestro on gigs for the past two months without a hitch...

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I had a 61 with a Maestro. Really serious tuning problems. Sounded great, but I couldn't keep it in tune through one song, even without touching the bar. Had a pro setup and nut work done twice. Nothing helped. Had to get rid of it.

10. westchesterdave

westchesterdave Member

It's one of those things...Some guys like 'em and some guys don't. Some players are going to have tuning problems and some will have none. There are always both points of view and both realities in any question like this.

I say if you dig the look, do the deal. If the guitar doesn't work out there is another player who will buy it in a heartbeat. Take the advice of joejazzguitar and have your tech check the nut slots.

Good Luck , hope you enjoy it!

11. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

If it's just for the look, is it possible to buy one and just mount it?

12. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

I have a '61 reissue and don't have any tuning issues with it. But, I don't think I'd pay $400-500 more for it just because it has the tremolo.
    [​IMG]

13. amc

amc Member

If you care about tuning stability and the best sustain an SG is capable of,
    Do NOT get a Maestro trem
    It was a poor design when it originally came out, and it remains a poor design today as well.

If you must have that look, do the Derek Trucks mod, stop tailpiece along with the Maestro decorative metal plate.

I say this with many years experience playing SG's set-up both ways (stop tp vs. maestro)

14. kingsxman

Do you know how hard it is to put the maestro "decorative" plate? And where to get one?

thx

15. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is HOW the Maestro was intended to be used.... it's NOT a Fender or Floyd trem ! It was never intended to do anything more than provide a Bigsby-like warble.

When I use the Maestro on my reissue like a Bigsby, I don't have any tuning problems. But if I yank the bar, it will definitely detune.

Another thing to consider is how the back end of the nut (the surface of the nut that faces the tuning pegs) is shaped... Dan Erlewine has a GREAT technique in which he rounds the back edge of each slot so that the string gently curves toward the tuning peg.... this eliminates the sharp break at the back edge of the nut and helps keep the guitar in tune when you use your bar.

When I got my SG, the nut was a real mess.... I rounded both the back end of the nut AND the back edge of the saddle slots, and then refiled the slots so that they had a very shallow angle. With a little Guitar Grease on the bridge and nut, I rarely have tuning problems...

joe

16. waylon

waylon Member

i bought a 61 RI and put a maestro on it. no tuning issues to speak of. really like it. don't use it much but like a previous poster said its good for a subtle bigsby like warble. one of my favorite guitars.

17. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've heard Waylon play said SG a couple of times and can attest that it sounds killer too! :dude

18. kingsxman

I would use the trem very sparingly if at all....

19. kingsxman

FYI, I have yet to find a place to get a Maestro with the Gibson engraving....other than paying $500 plus for an original 60's....

I cant believe this isnt a part you can buy from Gibson...

20. uOpt

uOpt Member

If I'm not mistaken then the 62 has a thicker neck than the slimmie on the 61.

You might want to take that into account. If the neck shape is important to you you should verify whether my memory is correct on this one.