Gibson SG 61 RI weight

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GibsonSGgirl, Mar 22, 2012.

1. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Member

Hey all,

I just purchased a 2008 61 Reissue from GC today and as soon as I got home, I weighed it on my postal scale and it weighed 8.02 lbs. It doesn't feel too heavy to me, but I was curious what the average weight of 61 reissue SGs are...

Also, I was able to get it for $1394.24 from GC, do you all think that's a good deal? It seems to fall in line with the prices I've seen on eBay lately...

My only concern about it is the weight...my first guitar, a 2000 SG Classic, weighed over 8.5lbs, and consequently I sold it because I wasn't playing it due to the weight. My 1980 SG Standard weighs 7.11 lbs and that to me is the perfect weight.

I guess what I'm asking is, is 8 lbs in the 'normal' range for a 61 RI? I'd prefer one in the low 7 lb or under 7 lb range, is that even possible?

Thanks all and sorry if any of this is confusing. And I'm working on pics now...

2. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

The '61 reissue has a bigger headstock than the standards and the classics so that could contribute to the weight. I'd say you got it for a good deal considering they go for like $1900 new right? No clue of that's a good weight or not but if it plays nice and sounds good who cares ya know? If its within one lb of your ideal weight then I say you have a winner.

Enjoy your new guitar.

3. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

My Historic '62 SGs weigh 7.14 & 6.53 lbs

4. billstets

billstets Member

My non-Historic (it's a 2003 or 2004) weights 6lbs 8oz. It does seem heavy an SG to me, but if it sounds and plays great and doesn't feel too heavy when you play it, who cares.

5. KazJY

KazJY Member

I had a 61SG that was light as a feather, so 8lbs seems on the high side, but really - if you like it, go with it!

I have no idea what my other SG weighs. I like it.

I have a Strat that I love that is over 8 lbs. I didn't know for YEARS, and I don't mind it now that I know!

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Holy crap! 8.5 lbs. SG Classic? That would be too heavy for me. Mine is around 6.5 lbs.

I've been thinking about picking up an SG Standard lately and wouldn't buy one that wasn't a featherweight. Too many of my guitars are too heavy. When my shoulder starts aching, that's when I reach for my SG.

7. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

Geez. sounds like an LP weight, sure your scale is right?

8. guitaristanyc

guitaristanyc Senior Member

61's should be really light - less than 8lbs.

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a 1990 62 Reissue last week.
    Haven't put it on a scale but I would guess it around 6.5-7lbs.
    It's really light.

10. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

Yeah, that sounds WAY heavy for an SG of any kind. That's Les Paul weight there......

11. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Member

Hmm maybe I should return it and look for a lighter-weight example...it's been a dream of mine for a long time to get a SG in the 6 lb range...

12. guitaristanyc

guitaristanyc Senior Member

Many of the newer 61's that I have tried (within the past few years, or so) have felt a bit heavier to me than normal - and the lighter ones had multipiece bodies. If you want a light one with a single piece body, you may have to look around for a used one, pre-2009. Of course, you might get lucky and find a great new one - though you will probably have to run the rack at a few stores to find it.

13. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Member

Thanks! I'd be looking for a used, pre-2009 example. I don't know why there doesn't seem to be any lightweight SGs in Charlotte, I always have to order online and I hate that. After many years of buying guitars online before playing them, I've gotten to where I prefer to try one out in the store first before buying.

14. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

As for your price question: I paid about $1100 used 3 years ago at GC.

15. paul1122

paul1122 Member

That's heavy. My 05 is close to 6 lbs

16. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

How big is the neck on the '61 compared to the others you are comparing it to. I know it is supposed to have a slim 60's but if it accidentally came with a bigger neck that might account for a half a pound or more of weight. I had that happen on supposedly the same guitar they would come with a different sized neck.

8lbs is the weight of some of non-weight relieved Les Pauls from overseas or Hamers

17. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Return it or you'll never be happy with it.