Gibson SG 62 reissue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saucyjack, Aug 22, 2008.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Played a 62 reissue SG from 1989 at the local shop.
    Seemed like a nice guitar.

What's the story on these?
    Was Gibson making decent stuff back then?

What pickups are in these...seemed lowish output.

They were asking $1300 with some wiggle room.Sound right?

2. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I have a 61 RI but have not heard of a 62 RI. The 61 comes with 57 classics. Not sure about a 62. They would be considered low output compared to the Gibby 500T for example. Love mine. $1300 is about right on a used 61. They are going up in price for a new one.

3. anibas

anibas Member

They were called '62 reissues when they first came out in 1986-the '61 tag came about sometime in the early 90's,IIRC.I've got an '86 SG Custom R/I '62 which is a great guitar all around,and the first new Gibson that I ever bought!If it's in really good shape and plays and sounds great,$1300 should be fair for that one.

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Thanks
    Anyone know what pickups are in the 62 reissue?

5. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

6. anibas

anibas Member

Mine's got the stock pickups in it,and they're definitely not high outputs,like the Dirty Finger pickups.IIRC,they're just the standard humbucker that Gibson was using at that time,nothing special.My guitar sounds fine for just about anything I've used it for,and I've never seriuosly thought about swapping them out.Hope this helps,saucyjack.

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Offer them $1100. It's a nice guitar.

8. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Yeah,
    I think I can get it for around $1100.

Went back and played it today...seems real solid.Super lightweight,nice acoustic ring and nice neck.
    The Pickups sound pretty decent at store volume.I going to test drive it at band practice and see how it sounds.

9. blues

blues Supporting Member

When they first came out they had shaw pups in them. I regret selling mine.

10. rastus

rastus Member

I have owned a couple of these- 86 and 88 models-and worked at Gibson in Whitewood Machine during the transition to the 61 reissue in 90. The older 62 reissue is probably the closest to a real early SG/LP as can be bought without actually buying the real item (and I have owned over a dozen originals throughout the years.

During the late 80's early 90's we responded to market demand for thinner faster necks with the 60's style neck carve, simultaneously applying that carve to the SG reissue, 335 dot reissue, Firebird V, and the guitar that prominently advertised the feature, the Les Paul Classic.

Sales and longevity of this carve prove out the market's demand, as the 60's carve is still in use, while the standard "59 carve" (a term applied to basically everything that is not a fatter 50's or slimmer 60's style,) has waned somewhat. For several years all carves were that standard "falls in the middle" shape. At the time the market demanded that, now it is more variegated, with different sizes and shapes making it easier to pinpoint customer needs.

That all said, I prefer the old "middle of the road" carve and prefer the 62 reissue to the 61. As to pickups, my 86 had "circuit board" PAF's and the 88 had regular patent stamped alnico humbuckers. The 88 was traded off long ago-the 86 now has a pair of Antiquities, a neck heel repair, refret,and could pass for a real well played 62. It has been residing with my Cousin Kenneth since I gave it to him for Xmas in 03. He loves it.

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Add to all this: The Gibson Custom Shop did a run of '62 RI's for GC (yes, GC) in 2006-07. For years I'd been after that SG that called me by my secret name, and lo and behold, that was it - my Holy Grail SG.

And it was even on sale by GC on close-out, mid-teen$. :)

=K

12. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I picked one of these up a few months back for a steal! Somewhere around $1500 including shipping, all case candy, etc. This is one of the finest SGs I've ever played! Pickups sound great, PERFECT neck carve (somewhere between a slim 60s and a fat 50s). Gibson hit a home run with these GC Exclusives.

13. Blind Jasper

Blind Jasper Member

I'll resurrect this thread to say that if you find a 1986 SG RI they have Tim Shaws in them. No ink stamps but I read an interview where Shaw names that guitar specifically as one they put them in. Personally I think they are magical guitars and I happened to buy one by dumb luck in the 90s. I'm getting buried with that guitar.

14. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I stumbled on one of these on CL some months ago. Pretty much unplayed looking. Very nice indeed. And kinda like my old 60 LP SG from high school that someone had removed the Trem and put metal Grovers on.

15. mikefair

mikefair Member

Oh buy this thing! Or tell me where it's at!!

16. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

The late 80s versions had the Bill Lawrence circuit board PUs.

These are GREAT guitars.

I grabbed a 1986 from the Emporium a while back.
    The original PUs were long gone so I put in a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries wired to Duncan Triple shot mounting rings for every splitting option available.

Had it refretted with the SS jumbo frets.

Just an all out amazing guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Melj

Melj Member

My '90 model had the circuit board pups in it. They're not great, I have antiquities in there now. I like the guitar more than the CS versions.

18. vicjoy1945

vicjoy1945 Member

I'd like to find me one of these in minty condition...

Vic

19. Yetimonstor

Yetimonstor Member

I bought this guitar last year from my friend. It was belong to his father which passed away about 22 years ago. My friend just found this guitar in the garage last year and called me to have a look at it. I went and agreed to buy it off him for a grand. After I have checked, few guitar shops checked, some old timer player checked, also a few luthier checked and they all said everything is all original even the frets. One small ding, a little play wear, 70% fret, missing logo chain saw case, and no issues. Serial No. 834465XX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]