1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Gibson SG Classic and Les Paul Studio 60s Tributes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheGuildedAge, May 22, 2011.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I was checking out some strats at Guitar Center and found some nice P90s guitars, an SG Classic and Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute.

Didn't plug anything in, but I was surprised how good the necks felt. The Les Paul's especially had great fret ends. I was disappointed in the two Fenders... poor fret work, but the Gibsons were great.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the SG Classic or Studios have any differences that would lean you in one way. The SG was $999 and the LP was $850. Does one guitar cut more corners to get it at a price point?

Any input is appreciated.

2. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I owned an SG Classic for about a year and now have a 50's Studio Tribute (which has a slightly more chunk neck than the 60's Trib's) - they are both decent guitars for the money.

The hum canceling problem as mentioned above is the only major issue with them, but there are ways of fixing this. My Classic had a slightly muddy tone, which I think was an issue with its pots, as Gibson's current production P90's aren't really known for their muddiness. The Tribute maybe has a bit more oomph in the low end than I recall the Classic having.

Of the two, the Classic has a more refined feel to it than the Studio Tribute - the finish is much nicer and the neck binding gives is preferable to the unbound Studio neck (at least for me).

Aesthetically speaking, the batwing pickguard on the Classic is a bit fugly (I now own a CS SG Special, which is kind of a suped-up Classic with the smaller, 61-style pickguard, which looks more proper on an SG to me). My Tribute is ebony and with the pickguard removed and the stock cream knobs and P90 covers swapped out for black ones, it has a very sleek look to it.

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I need another guitar like I need a whole in da head... but I've been looking at these as well. I want a dual P90 SG again.

I like the finish of the classic. I have an SG (crescent moon) faded and a black 50's tribute les paul. Not sure the tonal difference... but an SG just looks right with a gloss finish. My preference, changes on any given day, but is currently towards the orange burnt umber finish on the 60's. The pics on the wildwood site are killin me.

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Thanks so far. I have a noise gate so noise won't be a huge factor. I guess I really need to go play them and give them a good run through. They had two or three Les Pauls and one SG Classic. I have heard the muddy complaint about the classics before.

5. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

The SG's w/ the P90's are sweet! And the necks are really big, but I like 'em. I don't own one (wish I did), because a high schooler's beudget is not conducive to spending almost a grand on a guitar. Sad, ain't it? :messedup

6. jb_abides

jb_abides Member

I wouldn't say the necks are very big on my SG Tribute. The are advertised as 60s and fit that bill. Mine is somewhere along the lines of my LP Classic but a slightly flatter more like my EE SGs.

Overall, very pleased with the tone, feel, playability. Yeah, its a Nashville and chrome, and most are multi-pieces, but the filler and laquer are very well done (thin) and fit and finish and set up very excellent out of the box (gig bag, in this case)....

These will last, and be players, so they will be good finds on the used market once people start turning them over if they don't keep them.

I like them.

7. sonic_777111

sonic_777111 Member

The main difference I've noticed is that the LP has a dull finish and the SG has a gloss finish. Neither one feels like a compromise.

I would heartily recommend the LP. The pickups have a weird way of sounding like humbuckers and Telecaster pickups simultaneously. I plugged one into an Egnater Rebel and played through all of Lostprophets' "Start Something" album, both guitar parts, and everything sounded perfect.

8. skunx

skunx Supporting Member

I never bonded with my SG Classic but really dig my Studio 60's Les Paul. Great weight, neck shape and feel. If you like the SG but want the faded feel (I much prefer it on necks vs gloss) Musicians Friend and others sell a faded classic for $699
    http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-classic-faded-electric-guitar

Seems like a great deal and a cool guitar with the faded feel but binding on the neck. If you call them you could probably talk them into at least another 10% off that this weekend.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I bought a LP 60's Tribute a few weeks ago. I like it, good basic guitar, but it needs work right off the bat; the nut slots are cut weird, it doesn't hold a tune real well, and the pickups rock side to side, so they have to be rest of shimmed. It's going to my tech next weekend.

10. Kylef

Kylef Member

Have both, and love both.

The neck on the SG is alot chunkier, and i do like the look of the bound edges on it. But the 60's tribute Paul just sits in the hand for me. It should be easy to tell what sits right with you.

Plug both in. Im pretty sure you will fall in love with the P90's.

11. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I have an SG 60s tribute that I bought off the rack at GC about 4 months ago. I love this guitar and it immediately became my #1 for my blues / classic rock band.

The question is how much different is an LP going to be and sound with the P90s. I'm really jonesing for a 60s tribute goldtop LP but I'm wondering how different it might sound. I've had a 2001 LP classic and moved it in 2009.

12. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

I am all over the 60s Tributes - one SG and two LPs. They are just basic simple no frills rock n roll machines. Had to set intonation and adjust pickup height and raise the action a hair on one of the LPs and they were good to go. I like the look and finish and find myself spending more time on the neck pickup than usual.

13. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

SG Classic is a killer guit after you switch to 500K pots-
    that will kill any problems with muddiness.
    I like a big-necked guit, and these certainly qualify.

I like the looks of the SG 60's Tributes,
    but I don't like the slim taper necks particularly.
    I bet these balance a little better than the Classics, though.

the LP Tributes - I dunno, I just can't get into an LP
    with trapezoid inlays but no binding - they just look wrong to me.

14. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Entirely. What is currently marketed as the SG Special just looks so pitiful with that cheap, open pore finsh on mahogany. Gloss finish and f.b. binding would tip the scale for me between the two.

15. seth3

seth3 Member

I too have experienced (consistantly, too) the muddiness of the classic, but the tribute SG's and LP's seem to never be muddy. I don't know why, but I wonder if it's the thicker finish.

I totally respectfully disagree with glossy finishes and much prefer the faded finishes. They play and sound more open to me (could totally be the placebo effect, but I could almost swear to it).

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

My Classic is anything but muddy. It's a very biting, cutting guitar.

17. SFW

SFW Member

Well, are you a Les Paul kinda guy or do you favor SGs? I love my 60s Tribute Les Paul. Great guitar.

18. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

I just bought an 2005 SG Classic a original HSC (waiting for it to be shipped). When did they start coming only with a gig bag?

19. HughesP

HughesP Member

You might also want to consider the SG standard P90. The baked maple board bothers some, but I've got one and it doesn't bother me at all. Mine is quite dark looking and you have to examine it very closely to see that it isn't rosewood. Makes for a very clear, articulate guitar, while the p90s & mahogany give it plenty of beef. No muddiness at all on mine.

Gloss finish, inlays, better tuners & a hardshell case all for the same price as an SG classic.