Gibson SG Classic Vs. Pete Townsend SG Signature

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jan 5, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Comments??? Thinking about an SG Classic soon and wanted to know what the sonic differences would be with the Townsend?

2. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I kind of wonder about that as well, but I would say probably little difference. One is a collector's item the other is not. I guess you would have to determine if the pickups are different from one another. Then there's the wood-did they use better wood in the Townshend?

In all, I bet the difference is negligable at best.

3. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

Someone is going to come into this thread and carry on about how much better the wrap-around bridge is on the Townsend. Just wait and see.

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Some of us prefer the feel of the wrap bridge, for better or worse.
    That being said, the one PT model I played was crap, especially for the price.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

c mac you're right! The wraparound bridge is one of the main differences. I've owned both and the wraparound bridged SG had a noticably richer, fuller tone. having said that, the classic is no slouch and is a great guitar for the money. You are on a win/win track.

Here's my PT SG

[​IMG]

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I ad an early SG Classic but got rid of it because the neck was thin. The newer thick neck SG Classics look great. I want a P90 loaded axe with a warm tone. I have a P90 loaded guitar and it is fairly bright. I guess I am looking for an SG sort of brighter or more articulate than humbuckers but not clangy. Is the SG with the fat neck fairly warm? The pups are Lollars in my other guitar- so I might try additional pickups since Lollars are aryiculate but can be bright on some guitars. Does the wraptail make it warmer in genral? I thought on the R4 historics it actually makes them a bit twangy??

7. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

can´t really help cause i never played either.
    afaik, the necks vary between the models, the classic being fatter,
    pickups are tha same. the classics are usually 2 piece bodies, if that matters to you. neck joints is at the 19th fret on both.

i have a ´64 sg special (wrap tp) that i love but am scared to take out of the house cause i don´t want to cause any breaks to that fragile neck. so i may look into one of those two as well later this year.
    imho, all mahogany body + p90 = some goood tone.

fwiw, i prefer that p90 special to my lp r6, my 62 sg std. ri (lyre vibrola) and a 57 lp jr, ri i sold last year. so far my favourite p90 guitar to this day.

8. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

If you haven't already, try a set of pure nickel strings on the Collings. They are warmer by design. Much richer sounding to me.