Gibson SG Classic w/P90's = Great Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by indravayu, Jul 14, 2008.

1. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

This past Friday I walked into Guitar Center in Manhattan on a lark and played an SG Classic w/P90's for the first time...it was their last one in stock and was on sale.

After jamming on it for a good half hour, I was so impressed with its tone, resonance, playability and craftsmanship, I decided to make it mine. I wasn't in the market for a guitar (in fact I have been trying to force myself to stop buying new gear for a while), but sometimes you play a guitar and it just feels so right, you have to own it!

The neck is thicker than most SG's that I have played in the past, but I have big hands, so that's not a problem - helps with the resonance, anyway. The finish is beautiful on mine - no imperfections that I can detect - and the grain of the wood really shines nicely under the heritage cherry lacquer. The tuners are the only weak spot, I think - they are those thin, white-tipped ones that Gibson uses on some cheaper models - might upgrade them at some point, but they seem to be holding tune well enough right now. The nut looks like it's plastic, if so, it will definitely be upgraded to bone - but the tone doesn't seem to be suffering too much from it right now. Power chords are thick and vibrant and there's plenty of sustain for leadwork.

I have been somewhat down on newer Gibsons as of late (I think that a lot of their guitars are overpriced for what you get), but I have to say that this is really a well-executed guitar at a reasonable price (just under a grand). The P90's sound fantastic...I thought I might need to upgrade them at first (since I am a gear tweaker), but after spending several hours with the guitar over the weekend, I don't think that's even going to be necessary - why mess with a good thing?

So, if anyone is in the market for an SG and digs P90's, I suggest that you try one of these out (if you can find one - I don't think they are listed on Gibson's webpage anymore, so they may not be in production at the moment).

As a side note, I also played one of the new SG Diablo's - it was an interesting guitar and pretty cool in its own right, but at double the cost of the SG Classic, it just didn't seem that attractive to me. I think I was slightly turned off by the red metal flake finish combined with gold hardware, too....plus the lack of a pickguard (always makes Gibsons look naked to me). It played nicely, though, and felt substantial (the carved top is really nice). The tone was more restrained compared to the SG Classic - I think they use lower-rated Alnico magnets in the humbuckers.

- Chris

2. MOP76

MOP76 Member

Congrats. I played one a couple of weeks ago at GC and also loved it. Loved the bound '59 neck and those p-90's sounded great. I'm a fender guy but looking for a gibson 24.75" to balance my other guitars. I think that's the one I'm going with.

3. MCG

MCG Member

Yes they are great guitars! I picked one up recently myself and submitted a review. They rock!

MCG

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

My SG Classic is my main guitar and I don't see that changing any time soon. Love it.

5. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

P90's on a good all mahogany body/neck seems a great combination .

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

So, if anyone is in the market for an SG and digs P90's, I suggest that you try one of these out (if you can find one - I don't think they are listed on Gibson's webpage anymore, so they may not be in production at the moment).
    Chris[/quote]

I believe that the SG Classic is currently an exclusive to GC/MF from Gibson. If you want a new one you have to get it from them.

The SG Classic is one of the best guitars for the price in the Gibson lineup. IMHO

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I played a beat to hell SG junior in Philly Sunday that in spite of really bad strings, seemed to sing unplugged. Ugliest guitar I've seen in a long time. I barely managed to not take it home. Same model I started with years ago.

Side note: when you're trying to sell a $2500 guitar, could you spring $4 on a set of stings to sell it?!?!

8. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I have owned 2 other SG's in my life (a 1987 '61 reissue and a late 90's Special, both of which suffered neck trauma) and this Classic is the sturdiest of the three - the guitar really feels substantial - especially for an SG! Had another marathon session with her tonight - could easily see this becoming my main guitar.

- Chris

9. loiking

loiking Member

yeah they look preety sweet, i wish they sold them in Australia....

10. dunara

dunara Member