Gibson SG Classic - whoa!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RickC, Jun 10, 2006.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Anybody else checked out the recent batch of SG Classics? The local GC can barely keep them in stock; they fly out the door almost as soon as they come in. I've managed to try three of them, two I caught at GC and one belonging to a friend. They are outstanding.

The necks on these are great; just enough chunk and width, but not huge; very much like a good 60's neck. All the ones I've tried had good "wood tone", and the P90s sound great; fat and creamy. Hardware, finish, frets, all appear exceptional. Only the tuners seem sub-standard; a Grover upgrade would be in order.

I've A/B'd the Classics against a whole wall of SGs - Standards, 61 re-issues, even an Historic. I thought it sounded more like a "real Gibson" than any of them. You'd think it would be pretty much identical to the Standard, just with P90s, but I haven't found that to be true; the Classics all seemed better to me, in every way. $850 out the door, with a bag; one of the best deals currently out there for Gibson tone imo.

/rick

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i bought one for my step dad at christmas and it is a killer gutiar...all the things you say are true. he loves it.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats awesome. Best of luck with it. [​IMG] I really wish the company would concentrate more on guitars in this price range. They need to realize not everyone is a CEO of a large company and can afford a $4000 guitar.

4. Ponec

Ponec Member

It's about time you found out about the Classic. I've had mine for about a year and a half now.

[​IMG]

-Ron

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm on my second one. I made a mistake and sold the first one. My second one is in Walnut which is a less common color. I rewired it like a 50's Gibson and put in Orange Drop caps and now it's ever mo' better than it was. Yes, they are great guitars for the money!
    :crazyguy

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Got one at GC Memorial day sale.

7. retro

retro Member

I won't disagree with you but I would add that the same can be said of the SG special faded with 490's for $689.00...

At least the ones I have played.

There seem to be a couple of types that fall under the special faded catagory.

One has a sand through type finish and one has a light satin finish with no sand through.

I've also seen them in black, besides red and brown.

I have been and was looking for a Paul and picked up an SG (special faded) satin instead. It was too good to pass on. Just a killer guitar all the way around.

8. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

You can't go wrong with any P-90 equipped Gibson.

9. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

I bought one about a year ago from Musicians Friend (I think they were the only ones selling them at the time). A friend had let me borrow his 72 SG with P-90s, fell in love and bought one within the month.

I do have a question though - are todays P-90s different from the ones they made in the 70's.

10. Ponec

Ponec Member

Which one? I think that the main difference between "modern" Gibson P90s and the original ones is the consistency. The pickups when originally produced were so inconsistent that rarely would any two sound exactly alike. When modelling the new pups after the "old" ones Gibson had to select one to model. The modern version might not sound like one particular example of an "old" P90s but it might nail another.

Personally, I believe this to be the source of many complaints of it not being the "same" as the originals. Whereas the "originals" weren't even the same as the originals.

JMHO

-Ron

11. sosomething

sosomething Member

I just wish they had a wrap tail instead of a TOM.. oh, and I wish they came in white with the small guard.

I'd own one of those... for 850, oh yeah.

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

It doesn't give you the white paint or a neck pickup for that matter, but the wraptail is present:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-JR-P90-Electric-Guitar?sku=518932

I want to get me one of these. Oh yes. :drool

13. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

these are sweet guitars. i bought one and then bought one of the new LP jrs. those are great buys too. gibson really needs to pursue this market more.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

Rewire it like a 50's Gibson and put some good tone capes in it like Orange Drops, Mallory or Hoveland and it will sound even mo' better for very small money!:AOK

15. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I owned one a few years back and sold it. For some reason I could not get used to the neck. I recently played a new sg standard and loved the neck. For all I know the necks could have been the same? Either way it was definately a nice guitar and for gibsons pricing it was one of the better value guitars they offered.

16. sosomething

sosomething Member

17. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

still trying to figure out how you deliver a guitar that lists for about $1,500 with a gigbag... That's just B.S. Love the guitar, love the pickups, awesome vibe, but c'mon, with Gibson's volume purchasing it would cost them maybe $30 for an skb... Weak.