Gibson SG Faded - Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frankandstephen, Feb 18, 2009.

1. frankandstephen

frankandstephen Member

Hello,

My son currently owns a Gibson Faded SG with alnico 490 pickups...I recently purchased two sets of the following:

Lace Sensor Red-Silver Dually Humbucker Pickups

I was wondering a couple of things....is it worth switching out the 490's for the two sets of Dually's?

If so, what will be the difference in sound quality and tone?

Thanks! I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so any help will be appreciated!

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

I've never used the Dually pickups, but I swapped out the 490's out of my faded special after a few monthes because they did sound rather.... dull? I think that's the word.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I think the 490s sound good in the faded. I don't know anything about the others, but I never felt the need to swap.

4. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

The 490's sound good in Les Pauls, but not the SGs. Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the guitar... The best set of pickups you can put in an SG without breaking the bank is Classic 57s.

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I have a Faded SG as well.. been thinking about a pickup change....

Has someone put in Lollar Imperials or something of the sort?

6. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I liked the 490's in the Faded SG that I had. Make sure that you raise the bridge pickup close to the strings to get a good tone from it. For the neck pickup, I installed a treble bleed cap on the volume pot that let the pickup clean up very well when lowering the volume, while retaining the high end. I sold mine after I purchased a PRS, but kind of wish I kept it.