• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson SG Faded - Pickup Question

Hello,

My son currently owns a Gibson Faded SG with alnico 490 pickups...I recently purchased two sets of the following:

Lace Sensor Red-Silver Dually Humbucker Pickups

I was wondering a couple of things....is it worth switching out the 490's for the two sets of Dually's?

If so, what will be the difference in sound quality and tone?

Thanks! I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff so any help will be appreciated!

SGNick

I've never used the Dually pickups, but I swapped out the 490's out of my faded special after a few monthes because they did sound rather.... dull? I think that's the word.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I think the 490s sound good in the faded. I don't know anything about the others, but I never felt the need to swap.

kingnimrod

The 490's sound good in Les Pauls, but not the SGs. Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the guitar... The best set of pickups you can put in an SG without breaking the bank is Classic 57s.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Faded SG as well.. been thinking about a pickup change....

Has someone put in Lollar Imperials or something of the sort?

Gnarlly

I liked the 490's in the Faded SG that I had. Make sure that you raise the bridge pickup close to the strings to get a good tone from it. For the neck pickup, I installed a treble bleed cap on the volume pot that let the pickup clean up very well when lowering the volume, while retaining the high end. I sold mine after I purchased a PRS, but kind of wish I kept it.

Trending Topics