Gibson SG Junior 2018

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fitz, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

I think that's the new "thing" for 2018 (like the 120th inlay in '14 & moto-tuners in '15)...I've noticed it on a lot of early '18s.

I think it's a tribute to the 1918-ish Gibson logo....did a search and it's very similar (minus the "The")
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Sure, but that's not typical.

3. Last

Last Member

This also has a Lightning Bar tailpiece.

The 2018 SG Jr. has the offset tailpiece wrap around.

4. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

Actually, '63-'65 (ish) Juniors are known for having great, chunky necks. My '64 was not quite as big, but nice and fat. Those were not anomalies.

5. Blackdiamond28

Blackdiamond28 Member

Seriously looking at these - but the logo on headstock is putting me off? Any reviews as yet? Heading to Japan soon & may pick one up there.

6. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I expect like at least two pickups for that kind of money :)

7. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Love the look and really want one, but no way in hell Im paying $1300 for a JUNIOR. Ridiculous. More than my 2017 SG Standard. No binding, one P90, bare bones...this thing should be $999.

8. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

with prices like that Gibson deserves to go under

9. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Hey big guy How does it hang? On a strap I mean. I know what you’re thinking.:eek: Just want to know if it’s a neck diver. Dirty mind you. Congrats btw. Looks great.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

On the other hand, Standards are like, $1529 now. And they squirt out a lot of Standards each year.

Plus, in the 30 years I've been playing guitar and wanting one of these (based on an early Mike Oldfield obsession), this is the first time Gibson has made an SG Jr with all the things I want that isn't Custom Shop. And I'm not sure if they even did a CS version in that period--small pick guard, P-90, heritage cherry finish, rosewood fingerboard, angled wrap-around tail piece, hardshell case. A friend of mine pointed out that it's way easier to find vintage SG Jr's for sale than it is to find any of the modern versions (the batwing, the roasted maple fingerboard version, even the SG-I/X). So there's a weird scarcity thing going on.

So, would I prefer that it have been $999? Absolutely. But $200 more over the course of forever is....whatever.

markw1980, Strat87 and weevilcaster like this.
  11. mbell75

mbell75 Member

The last one was only $849. No way in hell a rosewood fingerboard costs another $450 over the baked maple on this one. This new one should be $999. Good old Gibson price gouging strikes again...

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Junior-60s.aspx

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm sure when the maple one came out, there were folks saying "One pickup? No binding? MAPLE FRETBOARD? That should be $599!!!"

And like I said, it's easier to find actual 60's SG Jr's these days than it is to find any of the modern versions, which seem to get snapped up and stay off the market. Supply/demand.

13. fitz

fitz Member

I think the $1299 cost is due to the perceived improvement with the rosewood neck, Gibson price increases & includes a Hardshell case. To me, $1299 is still not all that bad of a deal. I bought a LPJ 10 years ago & it was $850 from what I recall with a gig bag.

14. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

The knobs in that $849 baked maple fingerboard SG jr are in the wrong position.

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  15. Gurn

Gurn Member

Sam Ash will be blowing those out for $500 w/case in 2020.

Good grief, a one-pickup SG for $1300?

16. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Member

I dig the logo. I do not dig the price. That's a bit steep for a Jr.

17. airportbar

airportbar Member

There are Fender MIMs with gig bags that cost the same or more.

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Well good someone likes that SG cos I don't :huh

19. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Sometimes I really don't understand this place. There has never been a vintage accurate Junior under $1000. Those cheap ones always had compromises (lightening bolt bridge, satin finishes, maple fingerboards, horrible finishes). That's fine for people that just want a cheap beater P-90 guitar. I had one myself and they are OK. But previously if you wanted anything that was really well made and historically accurate you were either paying custom shop prices or buying a Billie Joe Junior which was also around $1200. With a 15-20% sale you will get this under $1000 easily. How is $1200 too much for an American made Gibson?? Amount of pickups doesn't matter. Those pickups probably cost Gibson $5-10. There are Korean Reverends that cost as much or more. There are tons of over $1000 MIM Fenders out there. $1200 is really a low price for MIA. Sure Gibson has loads of sub $1000 MIA guitars but they generally look and feel like low priced guitars. Only on TGP will you find threads saying that a $3000 Korean Duesenberg is not overpriced but a $1200 MIA Gibson is.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    tlgvintage, jman73, Mike R. and 7 others like this.
  20. christophervolume

christophervolume Member

[​IMG]

tiktok likes this.