Gibson SG neck joints

eurotrashed

I'm in the market for an SG, and am bit of a noob as I've mainly owned Fender style guitars.

With how Gibson has changed the specs on the SG standard over and over again, and with the fakes getting better and better, I am having a hard time figuring out what is a good guitar to buy. Also lots of threads that have broken photo bucket links.

The two guitars below both claim to be 2016 SG Standards but the red guitar meets the body closer to the top of the horn

Are these both legit?

Da Geezer

Supporting Member
I'm in the market for an SG, and am bit of a noob as I've mainly owned Fender style guitars.

With how Gibson has changed the specs on the SG standard over and over again, and with the fakes getting better and better, I am having a hard time figuring out what is a good guitar to buy. Also lots of threads that have broken photo bucket links.

The two guitars below both claim to be 2016 SG Standards but the red guitar meets the body closer to the top of the horn

Are these both legit?
The black one has a problem with the control cavity cover....look how close it is to the edge of the body. Compare that to known "real" examples (go look at examples at say, Sweetwater)
Just from the back, I’m leaning towards the black one being fake

Harryq

I had an older SG Classic that had a neck joint like the red SG, and a vintage 60's SG Junior that had a joint like the black SG, so both can be legitimate. By the way, the strap button position like on the red SG had no neck dive, while the vintage position had considerable neck dive.