• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Gibson SG neck relief

ac/dcfan87

Gibson SG neck relief... Where do you set yours? Straight? Do you set it for a slight bow?

Also please explain why. Also how do you have your string action? Do you go for low or high action.

I'm trying to figure this out because I've had this guitar setup twice, and both times it was setup with the neck pretty much straight and low action. I for some reason felt it wasn't sounding the way I wanted and so I've been tinkering with it ever since.

I'm really trying to like this SG but it's hard for me to find the sweet spot. I realize that no guitar is perfect but I just want it to be the best it can.

Right now I have it a little less than 0.01mm. I think it is close to .007.

Thank you. Would appreciate any input on this.

jay42

Better forum would be Luthier's Guitar and Bass Technical Discussion. I guess like vinchan, I set all my electrics up with just a bit more than flat. I have an acoustic and one electric that I have to adjust more often than any other instruments or they fret out and/or buzz. They have standard compression rods and seem less stable than others.

phazersonstun

Higher action will allow he neck to set pretty straight. With lower action you'll want some relief to allow the middle area of the fretboard to not choke out or buzz much.

How heavy / light of a touch you usually play with will affect everything.

ac/dcfan87

Higher action will allow he neck to set pretty straight. With lower action you'll want some relief to allow the middle area of the fretboard to not choke out or buzz much.

How heavy / light of a touch you usually play with will affect everything.
I generally play with a heavier touch. I can set it up so that it doesn't buzz anymore and it's playable. But idk it just doesn't sound the same with too much relief. It sounds too "hollow" and the guitar really sounds thin.

Right now I have it set pretty much flat. Maybe a slight relief, almost microscopic. Too small to measure w my feeler gauge. And the action set at 1/16" on both sides. Maybe a tad higher on the bass side.

It buzzes a little bit especially if I hit the strings harder. More so on the lower strings. But the guitar sounds fatter or meatier. Does that make any sense?

phazersonstun

Makes sense.
It's all about what feels right to you.

There is no "you must have this specific amount of relief".

If you can just play the guitar like you naturally want to play it, it feels good, sounds good & doesn't fret or buzz to a level that distracts you it's good.

I've set up my own instruments for a long time but each time I get a style of guitar I don't know inside & out, I take it to my guy.

I was a salesman in a shop he headed the tech shop in. He's heard & watched me play a ton. He knows what I want out of a set up well enough to just kill it.

Then, I have a referance for my own work down the road for how that type of guitar & that specific example of it can feel when dialed in by a pro.

That's been working well for me.

Trending Topics