Gibson SG- pick up replacement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tikalcity, Aug 22, 2006.

1. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

Hello there, i was wondering about changing (at least) bridge pick up on my Gibson SG [http://www.everythingsg.com/identify/sg_firebrand.htm].
    This guitar is all-walnut, I love its neck and playability, but IHMO it lacks a little bit of versatility on bridge p.u (Nb neck is OK)
    i'm oriented thorugh progressive-jazz-rock (Mahavishnu, King Crimson, Mars Volta) but i'm basically searching for a warm, round sound, with enough sustain and attack.

for price-range reasons, I'd reather Duncan (Duncan Custom, Custom Custom, Distortion, Alnico pro? - note i've got Sh-2 and Sh-4 on my other axe, i dig it!) or Di marzio (super distortion or tone zone?) but i'm ready to follow any suggestion:AOK

2. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Voodoo 59's would sound amazing.

3. johnny q

johnny q Member

WCR Crossroads

JQ

4. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

thanks! any dealer for Europe?

5. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Also check out the Duncan Custom 5.

6. Miles

Miles Member

I'd highly recommend a '57 classic for an SG. Great warm balanced tone, also very moody.

7. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I have 57' classics in my SG and they sound pretty good. I didn't think they would. Sounded bright and brittle in my Les Paul. I usually like the Duncan Custom in my other guitars. For a round sound, I would say the Alnico pro 11 is awesome.

The hotter pups don't seem round and warm to me. That being said, I do dig the Duncan Custom for a hot, biting Paf tone and the Duncan Custom Custom for a warming up a bright guitar.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

DiMarzio super distortion at the bridge should sound awesome.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'll second that one! www.crcoils.com

(former Bergen County resident here as well)

10. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Buy a used Burst Bucker #2 for $50. Killer pickup.

11. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

I the end I decided for a Duncan Custom (SH-5)
    The best compromise, I guess, between tone choice/availbility/price & shipping costs - some of the pups you mentioned are hard to find Europe/Italy.

plus I've got a SH-2 and SH-4 (both with splitting option) on my other guitar.
    for sure there's a legion of guitarists with same PU, but they kick ass IMO.

12. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i have SD Seth Lovers in my 73 SG....maybe a a bit madrangey but its a mellow rather than honkin midrange and plenty of everything else going on to balance em out...i can get a lot of diffent tones out of them from warm corpulent jazz to pretty twangin country...

13. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

+1 Great pickup for solid mahagony as well as thinline and hollowbody guitars.

14. Mullard Man

Mullard Man Member

I have a 61 reissue that has a Duncan 59 in the bridge and a Seth Lover in the neck. Lots of tones through those pickups- classic rock, jazz, blues, country, even some hard rock.

Make sure you have CTS- 500k pots and either Orange Drop caps or the special Hovlands from RS Guitarworks. I have the Orage Drops for now but I plan on trying the Special Hovlands made for guitar soon.

WCR's, Bareknuckles, or Voodoo would be great if you want to try some of the other's.

57 Classics are very good pickups but the 57 in the neck can have a bit too much low end. That's why I went with the Seth lover in the neck.

SD 59- It covers alot of ground. It is very similar to the Gibson early-mid 60's pickups. It will get you Angus, early Eric Clapton with Cream, etc. Derrick Trucks uses them in his 61 reissue SG.

15. johnny q

johnny q Member

I'm starting to think the center of all civilization is Bergen County, NJ - its seems everyone I run into either originates from there or knows someone there!