Gibson SG pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dmcgeehan87, Jul 18, 2006.

1. dmcgeehan87

dmcgeehan87 Member

Hi, I am currently using a Gibson SG faded guitar with Gibson alnico 490R/490T humbuckers. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar?sku=511346)

I have just splurged on an Orange Rockerverb 50 head and Orange 212 Cabinet and have heard that the combination of the 490's and the already thick orange tone don't blend well together. I have heard that the SD Jazz and JB pickups are a good alternative. Other than this, do you guys have any suggestions or expeirence to share? Any help would greatly be apprciated. Thanks!

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I you're looking to go the Duncan route, Antiquities sound great to me. I've used them quite a bit and been very happy. Obviously there are WCR's and more expensive pups, but I still stand by Antiquities, and even the 59.

3. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Member

I really like the Gibson '57s that came in my VOS SG, might be able to pick up some used ones pretty cheap.

4. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I think it is hard to beat the Gibson classic '57's in an SG. I love them in my '61 reissue.

Cheers,

Chris.

5. omboy

omboy Member

Do you mean that you've been told the 490s won't sound good through the Orange, or do you mean you've heard the 490s through the Orange and it doesn't sound good?

If you haven't played the guitar through the Orange yet, wait and see for yourself what it sounds like. If you don't like it, you'll at least know what you don't like about it, and can ask about pickups that have more/less lows mids highs whatever.

6. dmcgeehan87

dmcgeehan87 Member

Yeah, I plan on hearing them through the Orange first before I buy anything. From what I have read though that they don't sound that great. It seems like everyone who owns an Orange always recommends a telecaster to go with it because of the bright sound they are known for coupled with the thick orange tone. I guess I was looking for a set of pickups that would give me a bright tone reminiscent of the tele sound on the treble/bridge pickup and a more aggressive sounding humbucker on the neck/rhythm pickup.

7. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've never been a fan of the 490s through anything, so my recommendation would be to change them regardless of the amp. They always sound loose and undefined to my ears.

The Gibson Classics on the other hand are pretty nice.

8. Roe

Roe Member

highorders with A5 magnets or voodoos

9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I'll add my recommendation on the Gibson Classic 57's. They don't always sound good in other guitars, but they do in the '61 SG Reissue. My homepage (signature below) is full of soundclips featuring that combination of guitar and pickup, so see for yourself.

OTOH, the '57 Classics are expensive for what you get at $200 a set. I'd strongly suggest buying a used set that's no older than a 1999 year model - Gibson re-engineered this pickup sometime around then, and the older version I've had from the mid 90's were terrible.

Another good choice for that guitar are WCR coils. The Crossroads models are the ultimate PAF style pickup - truly the closest thing I've ever heard to the best of the best of the originals. For a little more boost in the bridge, the Darkburst model is like a slightly hotter Crossroads. You'll spend more than for a new set of Gibsons, but you'll get three times the value, at least.

11. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

My sentiments exactly.

That's a really killer rig you've put together - SG into Orange amplification. If you put WCR Crossroads or Darkbursts in the SG you just might find yourself content with that setup for many, many years.

12. Roe

Roe Member

SGs should have alnico 5 pups like they had in the 60's. only A5 will give you the classic angus and EC sound.
    except the very first sg/les pauls that had pafs, all the 60's SG had patent number and t top pups.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I thought both Angus and EC played '61 SG/Les Pauls with Les Pauls (first year model).

14. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Have to disagree here. My SG came with '57 Classics, an AII pup. When I swapped out the anemic (IMHO) bridge for a '57 Classic Plus, that was IT. You can add dirt, but you can't take it away. For me, the AIIs are THE tone for an SG.:BEER

15. Roe

Roe Member

No, both play(ed) later models

16. Roe

Roe Member

2 SD '59s: much closer to the '60s A5 pups than most other paf style pups

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Maybe Angus did, but in 1967, Clapton purchased a 1961 SG/Les Paul, the famous psychedelic painted guitar, "the fool". First year SG.

18. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

after playing a bunch of different pickups. the only ones i'll recommend right now are the WCRs. I have the black magics installed in my guitar and they are amazing.

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

BTW: PAFs were used through the beginning of 1962. Even after patent numbers were added, the pickups remained the same until 1963 when they changed the maroon wire to a darker color, and the connecting wire from black to white. In 1967 Gibson changed the bobbins to the "T" type.

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've now got WCR coils in both my '61 SG Reissue and '60 LP Standard Japanese knockoff.

Agreed. I've played through 30 years worth of swapped out pickups, stockers and original PAFs. These WCRs are truy amazing.