Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute pickguard question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cosmic Remedy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Cosmic Remedy

Cosmic Remedy Member

Does anyone know a good place to find a pickguard to replace the one that comes stock?

I have looked on ebay and Musician`s Friend, but no luck.

2. Cosmic Remedy

Cosmic Remedy Member

3. kingturkeylord

kingturkeylord Member

Ok, so I also went on a grand search for a pickguard. After months of research here were the options.

A:Contact a pickguard company and have one made for you
    B:Lurk eBay till you find something
    C: change to cream pickup covers

I went with C

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Pickguardian makes good ones. So does Terrapin Guitars. There's a company that advertises in Vintage Guitar that specializes in SG pickguards. I want to get a b/w/b one made for my SG Tribute also. That solid black one is ug-lee.

5. Clump

Clump Member

6. Cosmic Remedy

Cosmic Remedy Member

Thanks so much folks.

Clump- I think I am gonna jump on that one on ebay, it looks great. They also look easy to install, looks like ya don`t even have to remove the strings. Thanks again...

7. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Member

+1 for the Jeannie guard. Very quick turnaround time too...I think I had it in my hands within 3 days of placing the order.

[​IMG]

8. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

9. Clump

Clump Member

Oh He is!:rotflmao

Install could not have been easier. All the screw holes lined up perfectly and there was no trimming at all involved. 2 minute job.

10. Cosmic Remedy

Cosmic Remedy Member

Those look sooooo great, getting ready to place my order in a few. Thanks again y`all :)

11. Cosmic Remedy

Cosmic Remedy Member

Are the photos you guys have posted black/white or black/cream? They look black/white to me...

12. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Why did the originals need replacing if I may ask?

13. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I really don't get this. I get tired after 'minutes' of research. If what I need isn't available as an off the shelf part, I look at ordering it. If no one makes it, I have it made. In the case of pickguards, if it is ANYTHING out of the ordinary, it is probably a custom cut. Start calling your local shops and ask if they cut 'em.
    Its just weird to me when people say stuff like "I've looked for months", "I have been to every hardware store in town looking for a screw for this", or "I've been to every plastic supplier in town and none of them seem to carry pickguard material".
    You know who DOES know where to find stuff, has it, or can make it? The local luthier. If the OP walked into my shop with his old pickguard, he could come back the next day and pick up his new guard.

14. Clump

Clump Member

Mine's B/W/B/W/B.

The stock PG is a thin 1 ply.

15. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Member

Purely cosmetic reasons.

16. dexfx69

dexfx69 Member

Update: The Jeannie guard is very pretty, yet very expensive; $76 ($68 plus $8 shipping). It just seems a little too much for a budget guitar. For those who can't afford its premium price, WD now offers 60s tribute SG pickguards in a variety of colors and layers from less than half the price of a Jeannie:

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_sg_5800.html

I might order the Jeannie based on the photo near the top of this thread, as it has a very nice design, I haven't seen the BWBWB WD version to compare. Is working a half day more to afford the Jeannie worth it, or should I go for the WD? Hmmmm.....I'll have to mull that one over.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  17. Phuckgoose

Phuckgoose Member

Damn! Why didn't I find this before.. I've got a custom 4-ply pickguard made, cost me 90$ and ends up being pretty ugly. The Jeannie is what I wanted! Decisions, decisions..

18. dexfx69

dexfx69 Member

I'm have this Jeannie pickguard ordered, in the mail on the way to me, and I ordered in black and white, because you mentioned in your post that your version shown in this photo is the black/white not black/cream version.

Are you sure this is the black and white, not the black and cream version you have on your 60s tribute sg? didn't you buy the guard from a guy called TerminalVertigo? If so, I contacted him and he said it was the cream version he bought and sold to you, not the black and white. Ugh! I wanted the exact one in this photo, and now I shelled out $90 for the white one!!!!

If this is the case, please correct your post, as I just may have wasted $90 on the wrong effing pg - a whole way of pay for me down the drain! I needed the same color in the pic as it matches other parts I've put on my sg including inlays.