Gibson SG Standard vs. LP Standard Faded

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bilbal, Sep 8, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

If you had to choose, which guitar would you select and why? I would appreciate any pros and cons for each if possible. I'm trying to help a buddy decide which guitar is the best value of the two. I think I would lean toward the SG if it were my choice.

Bill

2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

faded LP is an excellent guitar, especially with a few minor upgrades,however; i would have to go for the sg standard. Faded lp's are a budget les paul, the standard sg is what an sg should be right out of the box IMO.

3. BigJamesyBoy

BigJamesyBoy Member

Plus, if he would be equally happy with both, go with the SG for the sake of weight. Whenever I have to play a show for a few hours, it gets uncomfortable, and I'm a young guy (23)

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Yeah the fact about the SG Standard being it right out of the box is on my mind too. What differences in sustain are there between the two. Is the LP considerably heavier and have more sustain? I can't remember how my LPs or SG were when I had them.

5. SG John

SG John Member

+1

I like a new guitar to look new. And the SG is a great guitar.

6. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I would take an SG over a Les Paul every time. However, this is mainly due to the fact that my first guitar was a '73 SG Standard. I don't currently have an SG but I'm definately going to be getting another soon.

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

The Standard Faded is lightweight, under 8 lbs, and sings for days. They are two different guitars, apples and oranges. I love both.

8. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The SG for a nice paint job. SGs are excellent guitars, and I never really cared for the look or feel of those fadeds.

9. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I have both a VOS historic SG and a LP Standard Faded with upgrades. They are apples and oranges in many ways. They feel different and sound different. The LP is fatter, with better harmonics. The SG has kind of a snarly tone which is a little thinner than the LP. The neck profiles are different, and the SG neck makes you have to reach out more than the LP. The last couple of gigs, I used the LP. At rehearsal last night, I used the SG.

Don't buy into the BS about one being better than the other. When I bought my SG, there were two identical historic SGs to choose from. One looked nice, but was kind of a tone turd. The other one flat out smoked and it came home with me. Just because one might cost more (they should be close) or one is perceived as more of a budget guitar, don't let that make the decision for you.