Gibson SG Standards...good years, bad years?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clay49, Feb 17, 2012.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Hey SG Standard experts...are there any years or span of years where the SG Standards are particularly good or particularly bad? :huh

2. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

All from 1972 thru the late 1980's until they came out with a '61/62 reissue were all dogs IMO

3. clay49

I probably should clarify that I wouldn't be looking to drop a lot of coin on a vintage model...I would imagine that one from the early 70's to early 80's would run, what, anywhere from $2,500 up??? I'm in interested in what would be considered "current production" from the 90's to now.

4. jbear

jbear Supporting Member

I just sold a 2010...it was killer in every way.

5. golfnutt67

golfnutt67 Member

Are you callng my '83 a Dog??????? lol it was the first real guitar I got and it sounds great for a dog.....I would never get rid of it for sentimental reasons :bonk

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I can't really think of any dogs in the entire production, except for maybe those in the late sixties/seventies that had the top loaded pots. Those looked really ugly. I'm also not too fond of the late seventies ones with the large headstocks. And some of the newer designs are a bit stupid (like the Zoot Suit; heavy and stupid looking, but YMMV).

The newer model SG's (not reissues) have a newer neck joint that is far more stable than the vintage ones. I really like those a lot more.

Many newer SG's can have multiple pieces of wood in the body, and often it is hard to tell how many as Gibson has become very good at hiding the glue joint. My Robot SG has 4 pieces of wood in the body, and the only way you can tell is by looking at the reflection of the finish.

7. clay49

Which raise the age-old question...is there any real audible tonal difference in a one-piece as opposed to multi-piece mahogany body???

8. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

My 2009 Standard is a KILLER guitar, and I haven't touched a thing. Great pickups (490/498), beautiful (dark) rosewood board, perfectly filed nut (no binding/tuning issues) and immaculate fit and finish. And it's incredibly resonant, even when unplugged. I will never ever let it go. :)

So... In 2009 Gibson produced *at least* one good SG Standard.

Dannyz likes this.
  9. Julia343

Julia343 Member

My 2006 is a good one. So there was at least one good SG Standard produced in 2006.

10. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I've got a 2011 std and the thing just sings like no other. Compared to several 61 RI's and they just didn't even come close. Not sure why but after hearing it, I had to buy it :D

11. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I gotta tell ya man that zoot suit SG maybe a little hard for the eye to take in..But it is a monster of a guitar ..I'm not a fan of odd looking guitars but i have fallen in love with the rainbow Zoot suit..It just fits my hands perfect and the tones i have gotten out of it surprised the heck out of me..I felt the same way as you till i played one...

As far as non desirable SG standards go..I have always been highly disappointed in the Mid 80's models..I believe Gibson was having some financial problems then and they used parts of lesser quality..The wood is still good but the pots and such left much to be desired...

12. DonP

DonP Member

I'd call this mostly spot on. I did own a nice 1979 Standard but things like the big paddle headstock, thinner than normal neck (1 9/16") and ugly Schaller bridge made me decide to sell it. Besides, I have a 1998 that is fantastic and a 1963 Special.

13. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

No, but promoting the myth that they do helps the people who spent extra money on one pieces feel better.

14. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

15. LarryN

LarryN Member

Like any other guitar, there are lovers and haters of different years for different reasons. It's good to hear some opinions to learn things, but don't be discouraged by them. Lots of turn-offs are just visual. I love the Schaller bridge for tone on some guitars. I would go play a bunch of them and see which ones speak to you. One-piece bodies can be pretty resonant, but it's not a deal breaker. Wood is not completely predictable. If it sounds good, it sounds good. There is a difference between the ones with the neck pickup against the fingerboard and the ones with neck pickup back further. The neck pickup sound is deeper and more typical of neck tones, up against the board. Not to say the other ones aren't great, (Derek Trucks) just different. There are a lot of variants of the SG.

onstage76 likes this.
  16. TeleFromHelly

TeleFromHelly Member

Anything in the last 10 years is pretty killer. Some years (maybe like 07-09?) had pcb boards, don't think they do anymore but who knows

17. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

I have a '97 that I bought brand new. I will never get rid of it. I played quite a few when I was shopping back then and honestly, I didn't play a bad one. Ended up just taking the last one I played as they all were killer.

18. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

19. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

I've had an '01 Special for dozen years now and it's been a sweet guitar.

It's not like the "Specials" that came out in the early/mid 2000s with the faded finishes: this one has gloss nitro and the only difference between it and the Standards are the neck binding and the trapezoid inlays. Considering what a great player mine's been for so many years I gotta bet the Standards from that time were every bit as awesome.

20. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

My 2010 doesn't.