Gibson SG wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 61Ephramite, May 23, 2008.

1. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

I just got myself a Gibson SG. It sounded very muddy, especially the neck p.u. so I changed the very old strings. Still have a dark, muddy tone in the neck
    position. I have heard better tone from a bridge pickup as well, but it is useable at this point.

The pots are dimarzio 500k's and the wiring matches the Gibson schematic. The neck tone pot does roll off what treble is there but sounds very dark on 10. The caps are marked 223. Would .047's fix this or do I have a bad pot? OR is this a pickup replacement deal?

BTW, my other humbucker guitar sounds great through my rig, as does my Tele and Strat. So, I don't think this is a amp issue. Thanks for your help.

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Not familiar with the quality of Dimarzio pots, but if they don't truly measure 500k, they can rob some treble. A .047 would cut even more treble than what I'm assuming is a .022 cap already in the circuit. Of course it could also be the pickups or how the pickups are mating with the actual wood.

3. in a little row

in a little row Member

wiring sounds about where it should be...thinking your pickups are the issue here...

4. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Try backing off the pup from the strings just a lil bit but bring up the pup adjustment screws to compensate. this will result in more focus to the one adjustible coil. Do a little bit at a time til you find your sweet spot.

5. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Member

I bought an SG All American '95. Its got a 500T pu and a 300k vol pot. MUDDY. The wiring seemed strange and wouldn't go silent when turned all they way down, so I rewired it with a 1 megohm volume pot using this diagram-

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUH01101.

With only a single HB, I'm now able to run the tone on 6 for LP bridge tones and get fairly decent neck tones on 4. Then I have more brightness than I'd ever use with the tone on 10.

Love the 24 fret fingerboard. Why don't they bring that back, they could do it on ANY SG. Necks are the same, just the fingerboard would extend to the neck PU ring.