Gibson SGs - Educate Me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stringrazor, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I've been GASing for an SG lately. I've wanted one for a long time but always seemed to go other ways. I'll go used rather than deal with the baked/laminated board craziness and I also don't want to spend a ton (under a grand). I'm thinking HBs over P90s but I've played Specials and liked then so could go that way. Anything I should avoid (pcb vs ptp controls?)? What details should I look for (other than the usual for any guitar)?

2. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

Just pull the trigger and buy one. They are amazing. I have a 2011 SG standard. It is a excellent guitar. Good luck deciding which one to get!!

3. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I just got a used '08 SG std yesterday. Im really digin' it. I had a faded speical and liked it ok, but sold it to fund a Strat. Anyway if I could id go for a Std sg w/humbuggies (Just my opinion) Oh and get a hardshell case, the angled head stock always made me worry about it moving around in a gig bag.

Edit: the "faded" speicals are pretty nice axes for the $$.

4. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I picked up a 97 SG Special a few years ago for $500. I don't play it as much as I should, but I will not get rid of it because it has such a pure kick-ass sound coming through my Marshall it makes my hair stand up. I prefer the fretboard inlays and the better aesthetics of the Standards, but this thing sounds like a Million bucks. It's a keeper.

5. whiskypete

whiskypete Member

If you're willing to spend that grand I would personally find a used early 70's one with a nice headstock repair. They seem to be everywhere now. I have one and love it.

6. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Used SG Special, $500 'all day' on Craigslist as they say. My '05 is one of the best buys I ever made. Uber resonant, playable, and great-sounding guitar.

7. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Yeah, super comfy guitars. Easy upper fret access. Used standards are definitely in your price range. The stock pickups are good enough (certainly not bad -- I know a lot of albums recorded with them that sound just fine), but a lot of folks change them out to make the guitar sound great. If I was on a budget and had to buy just one guitar it would be a used SG standard. You're making the right choice.
    I also agree to start with HBs. You can always go the P90 route later.
    I have not had any problems with neck dive (as some people claim) on the SGs I own, but the necks will snap if you drop the guitar on directly its back. Just don't lean it against any walls and you'll be fine. Of course, this is true of any mahogany-necked guitar with an angled headstock.
    Enjoy your SG!

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Find yourself a vintage one. My '74 special w/ mini's is awesome.

9. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Guess I need a history lesson - seeing all sorts of differences through the years I never noticed before.

10. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I've had a few SG's, and never really bonded with them until I got my SG Classic.

Its incredible :D

11. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

12. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Vintage can be good; I'm not very knowledgeable about what years are better than others. But I can say that everything made from the late 90's to early 2011 (pre-baked maple board) is good stuff. Great bang for your buck.
    I personally don't think having a multi-piece body really makes any difference in the sound. I mean, they glue a piece of maple to the top of every fancy-pants burst les paul and no one complains about it...

13. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member