Gibson SG's with 3 pickups (custom models)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daphil_1, Mar 26, 2008.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hello all -is it just me or is there an increased amount of 3 p/u gibson models...namely through Gibsons VOS custom shop. I have never really played many of these guitars over the years - always looked like overkill to me.

Can any of the lovely TGP-ers shed some light on the appeal and sonic differences b/w the three and two p/u models? SG's have been taking my liking lately and I really dig the look of the three p/u custom white and gold VOS job.

Cheers

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I don't like them either.

You can't get the blended tones, and the big problem...PICKING!!!

I always am hitting that middle PU. I guess it didn't stop Frampton...but jeez for me?

NO Thanks!

J

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

That's the deal-breaker for me.

4. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

is there not some models that have a 6 way switch? or is that a common mod?

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I don't know about that 6 way stuff.

All I know is the '71 3 pu LP custom I had was rare as a hens tooth and sounded good, but was near impossible for me to get around on with the middle pu. And there was no 6 way switch on that bad boy.

JD

6. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I think the new SG3 full gloss model has a chicken head 5 or 6 way switch that enables you to finally get the blended sounds.
    Looks cool too and has classic 57's

7. serial

serial Member

I've always thought that the 3 pickup SG Customs LOOKED amazing. I picked up one of the 30th Ann TV yellow ones (yeah I like that color and I had a matching '92 LP Std at the time) after lusting after them for a few years.

I kept the guitar one month. Great neck, sounded good, but there's no way around that middle pickup, no matter how low you get it. I don't have nearly the same issue on a 3 pickup LP Custom, I suppose because of the arched top. I found it just about unplayable for my style.

Still love the way they LOOK though, I'll just never own one again.

8. big e

big e Member

Back around 2000 I played a Custom Shop SG Les Paul Custom 61' reissue in Pelhem Blue (white was standard, the Gibson rep verified the 11 in blue). It sounded amazing (everyone in the store came over to see the guitar that resonated so well). I was thinking the same thing, hummmm a 3 pup guitar is only going to be trouble. I bought it anyway! It was too good of a guitar to ignore! I quickly disconnected the middle pup so it operates just like a Standard and I've loved it every since. The middle pup never was an issue. When you are really concentrating on your playing you never think about it, it's no different that a Strats volume knob........... a lot of guys are hung up on it...."being in the way" forget about it and play your ass off and watch it disappear!

9. ?&!

?&! Member

My best friend has two 3-pickup SG Customs, and they are absolutely the coolest looking guitars I have ever seen. He gets around the middle pickup problem by A: disconnecting the middle pickup, B: going back to the standard 2 pickup wiring scheme, C: finding the thinnest pickup ring possible, then sanding it even thinner, and D: dropping the pickup as low as it can go. It seems like a lot of work, but sometimes you've got to suffer for practicality AND aesthetics! However much trouble it was, it was worth it, 'cuz they play and sound great.

10. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

After trying out 4 of them, I recently bought one of the faded SG-3's (in black).

It has a wide neck and a 6 way switch. (Bridge & Neck, B, B&M, M, M&N, N)

It gets incredible sounds--the bridge & neck together position is very telecaster-y, and the M&B and M&N positions are interesting as well.

The middle pick-up got in the way at first, but I quickly got used to it.

The faded is a great buy, but you really need to try out more than one--the other three I tried were horrible.

11. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I don't know why Gibson never made two pickups SG Customs before this one!

[​IMG]

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

SG's & LP's with three pups look too busy to me.