Gibson SJ-200 Everly Brothers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frijoleghost, May 23, 2020.

1. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

For a long time, I have nursed a desire, in the back of my mind, for a Gibson acoustic guitar like the Everly Brothers played...to me, that guitar is like the most iconic acoustic guitar ever, and I have always thought the way the Everlys used acoustics in their music was stellar...

so - Gibson J-200 or SJ-200 is the model...anybody have any experience with this guitar? Anything I should know about different iterations of this model? I WILL get one some day!

2. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

They usually have maple back and sides which has a dramatic effect on sound compared to RW or mahogany. They can sound great and some of them sound kind of anemic to me. They are certainly beautiful, and the new ones are also extraordinarily expensive, to the degree that a player grade '40s J45 would cost about as much.

frijoleghost likes this.
  3. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Try before you buy (which I advise on any acoustic).

I fell in love with one in a shop but didn't have the cash handy. When I came back to play the same guitar a month later, I no longer liked it. :dunno

I had a custom version made for me (walnut back and sides)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The surprising thing you'll find is that even though it's such a big guitar, a dreadnought body projects more and is much louder.

PS, this'll get moved to the Acoustic Forum.

4. walkindaddy

walkindaddy Member

correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't the everly model
    # J-180 not j-200?

this may help you locate more everly's to choose from. FWIW

Ray175, weevilcaster and Jayyj like this.
  5. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Yeah, they're 180s, slightly smaller than a J200.

6. donm1104

donm1104 Member

The Everly Brothers initially played J-200s, which I believe they used on all of their hits in the 50s, then Gibson made them the J-180 sized models in the early 60s. I love the look of the Everly Brothers model, but always preferred the sound of the J-200, unless you're talking the custom model Steinegger Ike Everly Model, which is superb, if you can find one. This is what they used from the early 80s forward.

'56 Merc likes this.
  7. Ray175

Ray175 Member

The J-180 is a great guitar. I had an Ibanez copy bought new in 1973 until it was stolen some years later. When buying from A1 Music in Manchester UK I was able to A/B it with the original Gibson, and the price difference simply was not worth it (£90 vs £ 175 - yes, things were cheaper in 1973, my 1962 strat only cost me £85 in 1972...). If you can find a J-180 it’s a nice alternative to the J-200 - if you can live with the bling: star inlays and moustache double pickguard. The only mod I made to mine was to swap the adjustable bridge for a fixed bone one - it helped to accentuate the mids and bass registers, and to some degree enhanced sustain.

8. bob-i

bob-i Member

Don Everly was a great rhythm guitarist. As a kid learning to play I struggled to get my rhythms to sound like his. It was many years later that I learned he used open G tuning on some of their songs. Their driving rhythm guitars usually goes unnoticed but is key to their sound.

I always like the look and sound of those big J-200s but when I play one something just doesn’t sit right with me. I want to like then, I just never has.

'56 Merc likes this.
  9. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

I'm a HUGE fan of the way they used acoustic rhythm guitars on essentially rock music (I guess the Beatles were, too)...my personal sound relies a lot on playing rock n roll on an acoustic

'56 Merc likes this.
  10. '56 Merc

'56 Merc Member

I always wanted an Everly Bros J180 but couldn't afford one back in the 70s & 80s. Late 90s got an Epiphone Don Everly model. I found out I didn't like the smaller J180 body and the nut was to narrow so I gave I to my daughter. I now have Two 70s Japanese Cortez J200 copies one is tuned to open G. They are great.

frijoleghost likes this.