Gibson Songmaker Series CSM Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by RicOkc, Jan 12, 2019.

1. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

My luthier friend has one of these in his shop for what I think is a pretty decent price w/orig. HSC.

I've read what I could find online about the series. I'm primarily an electric guitarist, but would like to get a inexpensive acoustic for around the house.

Anyone have experience on these guitars? I've read about all the spec's and where they were made, just want some opinions on this model.

Thanks!

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yes, I played a couple of these Garrison-built guitars around 10 years ago. If you want my opinion they were frankly awful, and the line quickly sank without trace, for which Gibson should be grateful. They are capable of building great guitars; sadly these were far from good, leave alone great. Sorry if you had set your heart on one, but I'm being honest with my opinion.

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Was that one of those made-in-Canada models they tried selling at Best Buy about ten years ago? I've never seen one or played one -- they might be great -- but move slow until you get the lowdown. There are LOTS of inexpensive acoustics out there that carry less risk.

4. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Thanks for your honest opinion!

It's like really cheap....$250.

I'm surprised considering the quality of the woods used in the construction of these guitars. Although I didn't know that the necks are bolt-on.

Anyone else?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Bottom line-irrespective of my or anyone else's opinion-if it sounds and feels good to you then the only arbiter can be you. $250 probably reflects how the market values the Songmakers...

6. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yes, that's the guitar series in question.

7. slooky

slooky Member

2 hundred and fifty for an all solid wood acoustic. That is a bargain. I would definitely buy it.
    A Garrison with the Gibson name.

8. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I did a search online and found two of them that had sold for $500 and $600.

I haven't made my mind up on if I'll buy it or not. I'll still need to spend some time playing it before I make a decision.

Like I said before I'm mainly an electric guitarist. and it will be something just to plunk around on at the house.

9. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

If the frets aren't worn to nubs; if the neck is straight; if the saddle has plenty of meat left; if there aren't cracks in places that will affect the structural integrity of the guitar; and you like how it sounds and plays, well, $250 is nothing. I'd imagine you could make that back on Reverb if you decided to get rid of it later on. Not all Gibsons are great, but for that kind of money you should come off just fine.

I remember shopping with my oldest son some years back and we found a Gibson WM model (some call it a poor man's J-45) which he liked and it was really cheap. He ended up buying a used Taylor 312 instead, but a day later he told me he changed his mind. When we went back to make an exchange that Gibson was gone. Gibsons of any model at a low price tend to get bought up.

10. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I'll be back at his shop this Friday for our weekly lunch. I'll probably make a final decision then.

11. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget to come tell us how it turned out. Most everyone prefers a story with an ending :)

scotth likes this.
  12. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

13. TheRedBoy

TheRedBoy Member

Just be weary of the neck. I worked for a Canadian dealer when these came out and almost all of the ones we had in stock experiences warping or twists in the neck.

14. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

The fellow selling the guitar is a luthier, a REAL luthier. If there was a neck issue I'm sure he would have never bought it.

Thanks for the tip!

15. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Today's the day!

Will post something tomorrow about how it all went.

16. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Picked up the guitar today.

I got the lowdown on how he came to get the guitar.

A mutual friend of ours bought the guitar locally knowing it needed some repairs. After looking into it further he decided it was more of a challenge than he was up to so he sold it to our luthier friend.

The luthier re-set the neck block, repaired a top crack & removed and re-glued the bridge.

All the work is top-notch and not noticeable at all. Other than the repairs the guitar looks immaculate, and has the original hard shell case with the sticker on the case that came on it from Gibson.

It didn't cost me a thing. I traded a Ibanez S-470 straight across for it. I bought the Ibanez a couple of years ago seeing that at the time I didn't have a guitar with a Floyd type trem., and since then I bought a used custom guitar from my luthier friend with a Floyd Rose on it and the Ibanez was just collecting dust in the case.

I haven't had much time playing it today, busy day. My roomie saw & heard me strum it for a few minutes and told me it sounded "really good".

I'll need to re-string it with some lighter gauge acoustic strings until I get my hand strength back to par. I had Carpal & Cubital Tunnel surgery done on my fretting hand a few years ago so my hand strength isn't what you would call "normal". As stated before I'm mainly an electric player so it's back to the learning process with an acoustic.

More later after the honeymoon!