Gibson Songwriter

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smitty2point0, Sep 12, 2008.

1. smitty2point0

smitty2point0 Member

Hello,

I think I'm about to buy another Gibson Songwriter from ebay.

I've owned one before and I loved it. I got in a bind one year and had to let it go.

The thing is....it's sunburst. Which I love, but I did not know they made them. In the picture, the sticker in the body is white, as opposed to orange. I called Gibson about the serial number, and they didn't have it in the database, which he said didn't really mean anything, because they are entered by hand, and are pretty behind all the time.

As anyone every seen one of these? Surely it isn't fake right?

[​IMG]

2. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

A Songwriter is a guitar I would never buy without playing the actual one I was going to buy first. Well, I feel that way about all acoustics, but this exact model in particular resonates with me because it's the first nice guitar I saved up for. After my last necessary paycheck, I went into GC with the full intention of buying one, hated the one they had out, and left with a Taylor instead. I've since played much better Songwriters, and a couple more that were just as bad.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

That looks pretty authentic "Gibson" from what I can tell.

I do agree that you should definitely play before you buy with any acoustic.

4. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

the white sticker is what's getting me. i have a songwiter (pre-bound neck) and i've worked for a gibson dealer. never ween a white sticker. also, I have never seen a sonwriter in a SB. I've seen them with a cutaway, but no SB. But that's just me. I could be wrong

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Here's a link to Fuller's that shows a sunburst cutaway version with a white label:
    http://www.fullersguitar.com/compon...195/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/vmcchk,1/

Virtually all of its features are identical to yours.

Gibson is known for doing very short runs of some guitars and finishes (although they usually are issued by the Custom Shop), so it's not unheard of to come across something a little unusual. For example, my J-45 has an Adirondack top instead of Sitka, and open-gear Gotohs instead of the usual Gibsons or Grovers.

That's a gorgeous Songwriter, by the way!

6. smitty2point0

smitty2point0 Member

Thanks for all the info. I called Gibson (24 hour people are super nice by the way), and dude said not to worry about the serial number not being in the database, then he checked and said that number falls between other guitars made in Boseman.

So I'm feeling a little better about it. I know it's dumb to buy guitars off ebay, espcially acoustics, but I think I have to take a chance on this one!
    And if I get outbid, then oh well. It is good looking though right?!?

Thanks again,

Justin

7. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Justin,

If you haven't installed some sniping software, I highly recommend it. I use BidWatcher, and on the few auctions I've used it with I've won every time.
    Good luck and let us know if you win it!

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Dude -- looks like you won it!! Nicely played.

9. smitty2point0

smitty2point0 Member

YES! I won that sucker....I think may have paid a little much for it...but oh well. The guy says he has a 7 day return policy....which was key for me, considering I've never played the thing!

I'm still wondering why that made these in sunburst. I've never seen one except for that link post earlier. Maybe a deal exclusive or something?

I'm having it shipped second day air to keep it out of the heat and all those trucks.

Here is the pic again, I moved it.
    [​IMG]

10. thesooze

thesooze Member

That is gorgeous.

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

According to the guys at Guitar Resurrection in Austin, it's a fairly common practice for Gibson to occasionally do a special limited-run variation of a given model. They typically offer them to their smaller retailers without a huge markup, so they move them quickly; Gibson meets their monthly sales quota, and the boutique shops get to carry something unusual that the mega-stores can't get. Everyone wins!

12. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

Beauty, hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

13. thesooze

thesooze Member

My Songwriter (definitely real) has a white sticker too. No worries!