Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by todd richman, May 22, 2010.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy Member

Here's my '65 SJ. You guys are making me want to take it out of the case and play it when I get home. I've been neglecting the poor fella lately. :nono

[​IMG]

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

oooh, show and tell. Here be my '56 and she ain't ever neglected. She is also now nestled in her original Lifton case.

I had to take the guitar into the old guy who does my repairs to have the bridge reset. He has seen a ton of these. He pulled the SJ out of its case, strummed one chord, smiled, and said "Banjo Killer!"

[​IMG]

3. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy Member

I love those round-shouldered SJ's.:aok

4. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Supporting Member

About a year ago, I picked up a new Bozeman AJ in a guitar store with no intention of buying or even liking it. She sang so purty I became obssessed and took her home a couple of weeks later. She's pretty much replaced my Santa Cruz Vintage Artist...I would've never thunk!!

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

People fail to get, that if you can play a lot of Gibson acoustics before you buy, there is an above average chance, you end up leaving the store with one.

6. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

hey todd,

i recently picked up a Woody Guthrie SJ after doing countless amounts of research on slope shouldered Gibsons, both new and old. I was initially on the hunt for an early 60s J-45, but I read so much about how I could end up with a dud after paying over $2500 on average, which I really didn't want to do.

After discussing it with a few of the major Gibson Acoustic shops in the US, the consensus was that at the price/quality/versatility ratio, the Woody Guthrie was hard to beat, and had some of the most consistent quality control of any of the new Bozeman Gibsons these days. A lot of guys on the Acoustic Guitar Forum raved about them as well.

It's based on Woody's original '43, which I believe made it a 1st or 2nd year model; no binding on the neck, script logo headstock, white button strip klusons, firestripe pickguard and reverse belly bridge.

I learned that this was basically the only vintage style model that came with a pickup installed that also preserved the look of a vintage correct piece. Before considering the WG, I was trying to figure out how to be able to easily play a vintage Gibson live without having to rout the end block for a jack, essentially killing the value and originality. When I came across this model, it had the look and the features that were right up my alley.

I spoke with the wonderful guys at Fuller's Vintage, who actually steered me in the direction of the WG after I spent some time with them on the phone, probing them about their exclusive models that were equally nice. They were running a NOS closeout on the last three of their WGs at a stupidly good price, so I jumped on it.

3 of the guys there all took turns playing each WG, then they collectively picked out the one that had the best playability and tone. They nailed it. It was the first time I ever bought a new acoustic, and I was very nervous about being disappointed having not played it beforehand. Once I got it and gave myself a few weeks to break it in, I've never been more impressed with a "new" Gibson in my life.

So, to finish up my ramble....

Definitely give a Woody Guthrie SJ a shot. You and I have VERY similar tastes, and I'm telling you that this is a perfect acoustic to complement our styles (Stones, Crowes, Petty, Wilco, Ryan Adams, The Band, etc.)...