Gibson Standard 50's Goldtop P90

Shades of Blue

Supporting Member
What do you guys think about this model? Is it different enough from a 2017 Traditional to make it useful? I have never played a P90 equipped guitar. I'm a huge Joey Landreth fan, and just am curious if a P90 equipped LP is more different to my LP Trad than say an ES-335.

I currently have a Strat, Tele, and the LP. Amps are a Two Rock Studio Sig and a Marshall Studio Vintage.

CoachD

I'm interested to see the replies to this question as well.

I have a '19 SG Special which is great, but I can't ever get over GT + P90 gas.

Compared to the specs of some of the similar USA models that preceded the new 50's version, I do like:

The Bigger Neck
50's Wiring?
ABR Bridge
Thinner Neck Binding
Nickel Hardware

Not sure of this Gold Color or pinkish plastics have changed from previous models (2013 Trad, 2018 Classic), but the pics I see always look pretty good IMO.

Figaro

Supporting Member
All the new LP Standard 50’s that I’ve played have been great. I was about to buy one until a 2013 Traditional (solid body) with a big neck popped up for sale locally for $1300 less. I still want a LP with P90’s.

fishlog

Supporting Member
Never owned a P90’s guitar?!

When I got my LP with P90’s it was a game changer. Much more articulate in my opinion. Not as big sounding but still plenty big. I had owned 3 HB Les Pauls before and always seemed to have to fight them. They were all monsters and I always felt I was having to pull back the reigns.

Neck pickup is not as wooly? Certainly more clarity than its HB counter part. Bridge is vintage rock and roll. The middle was the biggest surprise for me... can get some serious twang and other assorted country sounds.

I also own An SG P90’s equipped Special and its great too and its own beast and worth owning too but a LP with P90’s is a must have in my book.

juxtapolice

Supporting Member
Here's mine. I own a Nocaster, a 335 and this 2019 standard. All extraordinarily different in great ways. To me nothing is quite like a Les Paul with p90s. Twangy but with heft, being a solid thick mahogany. The neck on this one is big too which gives it a robust sound as well. Check one out of you can, I love p90s, not quite classic single coils or pafs, really just a unique sound

jvin248

P90s are like a bar room brawl that you want to get back in the next night.

P90s were/are the benchmark that humbuckers were trying to be while cutting the hum. So there are more subtleties to them than most people realize. If you experience hum then don't stop playing or zip the volume knob down to zero when you do.

I've tried a bunch of different P90s and I've found it's more difficult to make a bad P90 than a good one. So don't be worried about getting a non-Gibson guitar with P90s. You can even buy some import eBay sets for $15 that will knock socks off. My first foray into P90s was loading up my mule Strat. So fantastic.

There was an old Epiphone Special with two P90s that sold under $100 that has a lot of fans. I believe Epiphone has one or two P90 equipped 2020 models to choose from now. Reverend makes a few while Fender and G&L make Teles with them.

This is the P90 guitar I have lately, PRS SE Soapbar single cut, about a dozen years old.

Only thing you've got to worry about with a Gibson ... is that fragile headstock.

Here's that bar brawl:

Shades of Blue

Supporting Member
Well, I’m considering selling my Fender American Professional Tele in order to get a 50s LP With P90s. Just can’t really swing it right now without selling the Tele. I just feel like the LP Trad is really fat, and the Tele is too thin. P90s might be perfect.