Gibson standard reissues vs Historic reissues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kingsxman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences between the Gibson standard reissues and the "Historic" reissues. I've currently got a 61 reissue SG that i really like...but i'm looking at a 61 reissue "Historic" that has a maestro on it. I dig the look but am wondering if there are any other factors that may make the historic more appealing.

2. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'm by no means an expert especially when it comes to SG's but I believe you're going to find less of a difference between USA '61 and Custom Shop models SG's than you would Les Paul's.

The Custom Shop model is going to get the choice pieces of wood over the USA. The pickups are different as well, The USA model has '57 Classic's while the CS has the Burstbucker 1/2 combo. The neck sizes are listed the same way but from experience I find the CS models to have slightly fatter necks. The CS model has an ABR-1 bridge which screws directly into the wood, the '61 has a Nashville style which sits in grommets screwed into the body. You'll also get a lighter weight tailpiece with the CS model.

They claim the CS model has a long neck tenon but I'm not sure how much of a BS claim this might be. My understanding is the neck joint in an SG isn't like that of a Les Paul and that they all extend into the body.

I like the '57 Classic's over the Burstbuckers in an SG but your mileage may vary. I just think the smoother fatter tone of the '57 works well the the characteristic of an SG. The '61 used to be a lot cheaper new and a much better value but at this point there isn't much seperating them in terms of cost, so it's tough to hands down recommend one over the other. If you play a CS model and it speaks to you go for it but if you still really like your '61 afterward, then I wouldn't rush to upgrade.

3. Buduranus2

Buduranus2 Member

I'd avoid any guitar with a Vibrola unless you're going to play a lot of Hendrix or surf music. They're a bitch to keep in tune and the Vibrola kills the sustain. I used a '61 SG Std as a top 40 guitar and it was very well behaved. Good neutral sound, and if you broke a string it'd stay in tune enough to finish the song. I just removed the Vibrola from my Firebird. Now I've got more sustain and raw tone, plus no more tuning issues. And no more obstruction from the Vibrola arm either.

4. kingsxman

I barely would use the trem...so hopefully that would help tuning.

I like the 57 classics also better than the Burst buckers.

5. kingsxman

6. kingsxman

7. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Not entirely sure, but the historics may be 1 piece body as opposed to 2

8. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Historics are one piece as are the large majority of '61's. Some of the more recent '61's are two piece but some are still one.

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Back in the day, we ALL removed the Vibrolas and added Stop Tailpieces. ;)