Gibson Steve Stevens Signature Les Paul

Earplayer

.... yeah, i really think they should make him one. :JAM:dude:band

he is a really cool player (one of my faves actually) and his tone is always the best with a les paul imho.
a cool custom - with jumbos, cool finish, rebel yell pickups...

nah?

StonieSlagg

Silver Supporting Member
.... yeah, i really think they should make him one. :JAM:dude:band

he is a really cool player (one of my faves actually) and his tone is always the best with a les paul imho.
a cool custom - with jumbos, cool finish, rebel yell pickups...

nah?

+1, he more than deserves it.

TresGatos

I'm not trolling here, I'm asking what I think is a legitimate question:

Besides Billy Idol's 3-4 hits, where would one hear Steve Stevens enough for him to be an inspiration or on Gibson's radar enough to make him a $$$ earning draw?
He has a great sound but can I load an hour of his quality tunes on my iPod?

grooveht

Gold Supporting Member
Steve Stevens - Memory Crash, Flamenco A Go-Go
Bozzio Levin Stevens - Black Light Syndrome and Situation Dangerous
He's also on a couple of Derek Sherinian albums.

catpeople

Besides Billy Idol's 3-4 hits, where would one hear Steve Stevens enough for him to be an inspiration or on Gibson's radar enough to make him a $$$ earning draw?

Steve stevens is a more famous name than Buckethead, and a much more interesting musician. Buckethead has his signature LP.

Don't get me wrong, b'head is an astounding guitar athlete and a true original, but he's only ever written 3 riffs and 4 songs and all his stuff is the same harmonically inane crap.

bismark

:facepalm

If Jonah Brothers can have a signature guitar, shouldn't Steve Stevens be 100x more deserving to have one?

Anyway, Steve's music career is more than just Billy Idol's hits. He cut his own albums, collaborated and played with many artistes, including Michael Jackson. He also won a Grammy for the Top Gun soundtrack anthem.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Steve stevens is a more famous name than Buckethead, and a much more interesting musician. Buckethead has his signature LP.

Don't get me wrong, b'head is an astounding guitar athlete and a true original, but he's only ever written 3 riffs and 4 songs and all his stuff is the same harmonically inane crap.

I beg to differ about a better known name - Especially after getting the GNR gig / Chinese Democracy album and tour.

From a purely a crowd draw - BH sells out as a solo performer across the country. Stevens ??

StJimmy

Atomic Playboys & Vince Neil's solo record (can't recall the name).

Great guitar parts on those albums.

amigo30

Memory Crash was a pretty big deal. Maybe not every household levels, but it's an album that gained him a lot of attention.

If you haven't heard it yet, you should give it a listen.

tms13pin

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, maybe Stevens isn't the big name right now, but the guy's career
speaks for itself. I don't really associate him with Gibson though. He
was a Hamer guy in the 80's, and they had a sig model for him then.
More recently, I've seen him playing Godin's on YouTube vids. I'm sure
he uses a lot of axes. As for if he deserves a sig... Keifer Sutherland has
a Gibby model.... Gibby sig model means nothing. I'll bet SS couldn't care
less.

I did see the Atomic Playboys back in the 90's. Great show.

--Tom

Wolfgangsta

Silver Supporting Member
Atomic Playboys & Vince Neil's solo record (can't recall the name).

Great guitar parts on those albums.

Atomic Playboys is a great album!! I forgot he played on Vince Neil's solo album. I'll have to revisit that one.

Alvis

SS Hamer was badass,kind of a hot rod 80s LP Special.......I knew a guy that had one when I lived in Natchez. He worked at the local store that was a Hamer dealer It was a joy to play it
If you're lucky you get one "official" signature model in your lifetime ;)
The rest you have to put together yourself
Now I got a whole house full of "prototype" signature models........no one will ever see

GiorgioV

I think it works on a commercial perspective.

THe guy has a very distinct Les Paul, kind of gold/mirror finish, bith ebony board and binding up to the headstock that could sell well.

steve-stevens-interview-3.jpg

Earplayer

hi guys!

cool that i am not alone with this idea! :D

ähm, .... steve stevens is imho one of the most underrated guitarists and SONGWRITERS - he is a really cool cat. he has written most of the cool stuff with billy...
if you are listening radio you can hear def. more steve stevens tracks than lets say buckethead or a lot of other guys that have their sig. gibson les paul or sg. dirty diana is one of michael jacksons very best songs ever and he did a great job on that track.
stevens would need a good new album and probably a better management to be in every mouth again. but anyway - i don´t know one single (good) guitar player that doesn´t like or love what steve stevens is doing.
...and he has his own style - you can hear steve stevens out of many other good players - he has a really cool touch and style.

i also think he is able to sell the stuff he endorses - i don´t wanna know how many badger 18 have been sold since he has done some demos with that amp... he is also very charming - a lot of people like his attitude - to me the perfect endorser.

i don´t like comparisons as i think it´s lame and everyone has a different taste - but i know what you mean. here is what i think - buckethead is cool - his signature is cool. but don´t get me wrong stevens is in another league. buckethead is a shredder but nowhere near as good as stevens when it comes to tone, style, touch and the ability to get in touch with the crowd live. i don´t want even talk about songwriting abilities...
i remember two concerts from billy idol - amazing performance - billy and steve did an awesome job. once they were support for bon jovi long time ago - damn they rocked the crowd... bon jovi was LAME (to me bon jovi is lame anyway...) after that performance... :bow

by the way the les paul in that picture is just a limited les paul sparkle from the mid 90s there is one on ebay right now i think...
would love to see a black custom, his fav. neck profile,fancy aged hardware, rebel yell pickups, his tone pots and his fav. wiring, his fav. fretwire, etc. - of course you could mod your les paul - but a sig. would be so cool - he deserves it so much i think.

Gretsch6136

Steve Stevens is a big name for most guitarists in their mid '40s.

A perfect target market for Gibson.

Guys this age are getting nostalgic for their youth whilst at the same time getting the kids out of their hair and zeroing in on the end of their mortgages.

Put all these factors together and you have a sound business case for launching a Steve Stevens guitar right now. You don't need the signature artist to be a household name accross the world. You just need him/her to resonate strongly with a tightly defined target demographic, get the product, distribution, advertising and pricing right, and you have a winner on your hands.

Earplayer

+1!!!!!!!

(btw - i am 32...and i know a lot of younger players too that like his unique style - i think this guitar would be a very good seller - i hope someone at gibson is reading this... lol)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom